Estimated Reading Time: <1
And the winner of the 2014 Miss World pageant is….Miss South Africa, Rolene Strauss!
The 22-year-old beauty queen was crowned onstage at the competition’s grand final at the Excel London ICC Auditorium on Sunday. Strauss, the daughter of a doctor and nurse, is a fourth-year medical student who had put her studies on hold. She had said becoming Miss South Africa and later Miss World and studying medicine were her childhood dreams.
“Everyone in my town called me Little Dr. Strauss,” she said.
Donning a high, blue and golden jeweled crown and pale pink, off-the-shoulder, romantic-style, cleavage-baring, ruffled evening gown, Strauss waved and smiled at the crowd.
E! News reports that Strauss was among 122 contestants who competed for the coveted title this year. During the ceremony, contestants wore colorful costumes representing their countries and territories and several also took part in a group performance of the hit ballad “You Raise Me Up,” made famous by Josh Groban.
After she was crowned, the remaining contestants on stage danced to LMFAO’s “Party Rock Anthem.” Group member Sky Blu, who wore a fairytale prince-like outfit, performed solo.
- Over 15 million Nigerians abuse drugs – NDLEA new boss promises to end drug abuse
- Abuja resident hospitalised after IGP’s orderly fires AK-47 rifle in beer parlour
- Buba Marwa resumes office as NDLEA Chairman
- Invest in dispelling COVID-19 misinformation – Cross River Primary Healthcare DG urges FG
- Oyo PDP alleges APC is behind production of fake Amotekun uniforms
- Anambra first lady, Ebelechukwu Obiano gets moderna COVID-19 vaccine in America
- 2023: Nigerians should reward Tinubu with Presidency – House of Rep member
- Declare Dogara’s seat vacant; PDP asks court
- Buhari appoints DG for National Directorate of Employment
- Federal Government says COVID-19 tests are not required for returning students