Estimated Reading Time: <1
Ghanaian actress, filmmaker and activist Yvonne Nelson sat for an interview with Blanck Magazine…
Sitting to a chat with the Blanck E-I-C Franka Chiedu She shares in detail her trials, tribulations and triumphs during the time leading up to and after her #Dumsormuststop campaign as she calls on other celebrities to use their platforms for the greater good of the masses who support them daily.
She told the magazine, “Last year, I started a campaign tagged ‘Dumsor Must Stop’. One evening, the electricity in my house went off and when this happens in Ghana we refer to it as DUM – SOR, translated as lights off. A term Ghanaians coined to describe the consistent lack of power supply. I couldn’t sleep that night; I was sweating and fanning myself – I decided not to use my generator because the cost of fuelling it was unbecoming. Yes! We do make a little money here and there but it can’t all be ploughed into fuelling the generator. What about those people who can’t afford a generator? Vexed in my spirit, I went on Twitter and tweeted #Dumsormuststop – I woke up the next day and I realised it was trending. Everyone was tweeting using the same hashtag and talking about how they were also frustrated with the situation. At first, I thought it was a joke and it will soon fade but will only realise that it wasn’t and it trended for like a week.
For more, get a copy of the magazine
- Ibrahim Magu, former acting EFCC Chairman accused of failing to account for 332 real estate properties recovered
- Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami justifies approval to sell five sea vessels holding crude oil and diesel
- Human rights lawyer, Femi Falana denies receiving N28m from Ibrahim Magu
- “My involvement in that political process ended after the elections of 2011” – Sambo Dasuki denies campaigning for President Buhari in 2015
- UK denies Nigerian airline landing permit to evacuate stranded citizens
- Leader of ‘One Million Boys’ shot dead in Ibadan
- Doctors in Lagos State begin warning strike on Monday
- National Theatre handed over to bankers’ committee for renovation
- LASG seals 33 hotels, bars, restaurants, others for violating reopening protocols
- Bollywood Superstars Amitabh Bachchan and Aishwarya Rai Test Positive For COVID-19