Estimated Reading Time: 1
Nigerian Senator Buruji Kashamu is said to have died of Coronavirus according to multiple reports now confirmed by Senator Ben Murray Bruce.
Senator Kashamu is said to have died Saturday at the First Cardiology Consultants Hospital in Lagos, Nigeria.
Kashamu was Nigerian politician who served as a Senator representing Ogun East in the 8th National Assembly.
Senator Kashamu was the Vice-Chairman of the Senate Committee on States and Local Government. He then contested the Governorship of the Ogun elections during the 2019 polls along with Nigerian columnist, Mr Reuben Abati as deputy Governor.
He was a chieftain of the People’s Democratic Party, PDP in Ogun State. He was appointed as the chairman, Organization and Mobilization Committee of the PDP in the South West zone of Nigeria.
In 2018, he was expelled from the People’s Democratic Party, a decision later voided by an Abuja High Court in October 2018. He was the 2019 Ogun State gubernatorial election candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party.
In 1998, Kashamu was arrested in the United Kingdom on drugs-related charges after trying to enter the country with $230,000 in cash. He was acquitted and released in 2003. British authorities refused a US extradition request on drugs charges, citing concerns about his identity, however Nigerian authorities announced their intention to deport him to the US on multiple occasions.
An official statement from the family is yet to be made available to newsmen as at press time..
- Amaechi left a legacy of white elephant projects says Governor Wike
- N2.67 billion school feeding funds have been diverted to private accounts; ICPC reveals
- President Buhari writes to President Xi Jinping of China
- Court awards N50 million against Senator Abbo for assault
- Nigeria’s vice-President Yemi Osinbajo has said Nigeria may break up if efforts are not made to address the cracks
- Former Delta State Governor Uduaghan returns to PDP
- COVID-19: Lagos government launches N5 billion support capital for private schools
- Proposed PIB scraps NNPC, PPPRA in new bill submitted to the National Assembly
- Alwan Hassan: An Open Letter to the Leaders and the Young People of the APC
- Nigeria Air Force officers convicted for financial misappropriation