Estimated Reading Time: <1
Babagana Kingibe is back to the system but with no known portfolios, is representing Nigeria at the ongoing African Union Summit..
Vice President Yemi Osinbajo (left) on his way to the AU Summit in Kigali, Rwanda, shakes hands with an official from his office
President Muhammadu Buhari will be represented by Vice President Yemi Osinbajo, SAN, at the African Union Summit formally opening on Sunday in Kigali, Rwanda.
On Osinbajo’s delegation to the summit is former Minister of Foreign Affairs, Ambassador Babagana Kingibe, the man widely believed to have betrayed Basorun MKO Abiola, presumed winner of the June 12 1993 presidential election, to serve in the despotic regime of General Sani Abacha which incarcerated his principal.
A statement issued by Laolu Akande, Senior Special Assistant- Media & Publicity, Office of the Vice President disclosed.
The 27th Ordinary Session of the Assembly of the African Union (AU) is scheduled to hold from 17 to 18 July, 2016, although a retreat of African Heads of State and Governments has been scheduled for tomorrow July 16 ahead of the formal summit opening on Sunday.
The Session has been preceded by the 32nd Ordinary Session of the Permanent Representatives Committee (PRC) and the 28th Ordinary Session of the Executive Council of the Union at the ministerial level ending today.
The AU summit theme is African Year of Human Rights with a particular focus on the Rights of Women.
2016 is also being celebrated by the Union as the year of Human Rights with the aim of raising awareness on human and peoples’ rights, particularly women’s rights, on the continent and taking stock of progress or efforts made, including major challenges and/or obstacles encountered.
Prof. Osinbajo, who is being accompanied by Finance Minister, Mrs. Kemi Adeosun and Ambassador Babagana Kingibe, among other functionaries, leaves for Kigali today and is expected back on Monday.
- Bishop Kukah explains why Buhari makes it difficult for Nigerians to celebrate diversity
- Ondo 2020: Agboola plans to rig in Ilaje, says Akeredolu
- “I did not campaign against subsidy” – Pastor Tunde Bakare
- Fredrick Nwabufo: The injurious lies in Buhari’s Independence Day speech
- Protesters besiege the US embassy Abuja, demands Buhari’s resignation
- “Governance is not magic” – Babatunde Fashola says Nigerians are looking for results in the wrong place
- “It makes no sense for oil to be cheaper in Nigeria than in Saudi Arabia” – Buhari
- Just In: No fewer than 20 #RevolutionNow protesters arrested in Lagos
- Cheta Nwanze: Between the bar and the bench
- Tinubu says Lagos is an example of the success story of Nigeria