Estimated Reading Time: <1
A Saudi groom, from the town of Medinah, has divorced his bride on their wedding night after seeing her face for the first time when the photographer asked them to pose for pictures, The Mail Online has reported.
The UK newspaper, quoting the Saudi daily Okaz newspaper said the couple had agreed to marry each other despite having not met face to face – a popular custom in Middle Eastern countries.
But when the bride removed her veil and smiled for the camera, her new husband leapt to his feet in disgust.
“You are not the girl I want to marry,” he declared. “You are not the one I had imagined. I am sorry, but I divorce you.”
According to the Daily Okaz, the bride immediately collapsed in a fit of tears as panicked wedding guests stepped in to try to resolve the dispute.
But their efforts were to no avail.
‘The groom said he had not been able to see his bride’s face before marriage,’ Okaz reported. ‘When he divorced her, the bride collapsed and the wedding turned into a night of tears.’
News of the jilting was met with anger on social media. Afra wrote on one social media network: ‘He caused her great pain through his irresponsible attitude, and he deserves to suffer.
‘He should appreciate that beauty is in the character, not the face. Unfortunately, many young people today are interested only in looks and ignore values and morals. May God give her a better husband who will appreciate her for who and what she is.’
- No one has the right to expel any Nigerian from any part of the country – Arewa group dare Ondo Governor
- Just In: “We want justice for Seriki Fulani” – Miyetti Allah calls for Sunday Igboho’s arrest
- Afenifere wants ACF to “call their criminals to order” – warn that Yoruba would not want a repeat of the incident of 1966
- Miyetti Allah Cattle breeders association say kidnapping is a National problem
- Arewa Consultative Forum wants govt to act swiftly and stop the attacks on Fulani communities in the south west
- Fredrick Nwabufo: Buhari, now is time to speak to the Fulani youths
- Abia Governor dissolves state executive council
- Ignoring Governor Ayade’s instructions, CRUTECH insists on ‘no fee, no exams’
- American Legendary Talk-Show host; Larry King has died of COVID-19
- COVID-19: Kano Governor says closing down schools will be a ‘tragedy’