Estimated Reading Time: <1
Sounds of gunshots charged the air on Monday at the presidential campaign rally of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Maiduguri, Borno state, as security agents tried to control the wild crowd at the Ramat Square, venue of the rally.
The crowd hailed Muhammadu Buhari, presidential candidate of APC, as he arrived the venue in the presence of Kashim Shettima, governor of Borno state, and other top APC members in the state, after which he made his way to the podium. But he had hardly sat for 10 minutes when his security aides escorted him out of the venue for unknown reasons.
Angry to see him leave, the crowd went on rampage, attempting to force their way into Buhari’s convoy in a manner to prevent him from leaving, TheCable reports. At that point, his security aides began shooting into the air, while the crowd responded by pelting the soldiers.
Buhari’s campaign team had dithered over the choice of a date for his campaign rally in Borno due to security concerns.
- Over 15 million Nigerians abuse drugs – NDLEA new boss promises to end drug abuse
- Abuja resident hospitalised after IGP’s orderly fires AK-47 rifle in beer parlour
- Buba Marwa resumes office as NDLEA Chairman
- Invest in dispelling COVID-19 misinformation – Cross River Primary Healthcare DG urges FG
- Oyo PDP alleges APC is behind production of fake Amotekun uniforms
- Anambra first lady, Ebelechukwu Obiano gets moderna COVID-19 vaccine in America
- 2023: Nigerians should reward Tinubu with Presidency – House of Rep member
- Declare Dogara’s seat vacant; PDP asks court
- Buhari appoints DG for National Directorate of Employment
- Federal Government says COVID-19 tests are not required for returning students