Estimated Reading Time: 2
By Elfredah Kevin-Alerechi
Claim: A report from PUNCH claims that NIMC has given Nigerians final warning to get registered and link their accounts to NIN or face the consequences.
Misleading. The tweet, which Punch relied on for the report, was not from NIMC but from a parody account.
Screenshot of headline of PUNCH publication
In order to centralize Nigerians’ data, the Federal Government recently directed Nigerians and other legal residents to register for their National Identification Number(NIN) and link it to their phone numbers, bank accounts among others.
The government extended the deadline to do this to February 9. However, several organizations and individuals have urged the Federal Government of Nigeria to extend the deadline.
To this end, PUNCH, a media organization with over a million followers on Twitter on January 17, 2021, published a report stating that NIMC have warned Nigerians to register today (January 17) or face the consequence.
Punch headline reads; NIN: Prepare for consequences, NIMC threatened unregistered Nigerians.
The report reads, “The National Identity Management Commission says Nigerians who have not registered and obtained their National Identity Number should be ready to face the consequences”.
Adding that, ” By order the Federal Government today is given as the last chance to register your NIMC or face the wrath of what comes next”.
Dubawa checked NIMC’s official twitter account. Nothing from the PUNCH report was found.
Screenshot of PUNCH lede
Further, we clicked on the link to find out more details of the report but Punch had deleted the report on her website.
Dubawa went further to check NIMC on Twitter and got several accounts of the commission, including the account that twitter the information Punch circulated which turned out to be a parody account.
Critical look reveals that the handle of parody account is in capital letters @NIMC_ng while the official NIMC account is typed with smaller letter, @nimc_ng
The official Twitter account on January 17 few hours after punch publication also warned Nigerians from associate with the parody account, /@NIMC_ng
The report by PUNCH is misleading.
- “I won’t take any vaccine” – Governor Yahaya Bello has said Kogi state people are not “guinea pigs”
- I tested positive for COVID-19 – Obasanjo
- Singer, Simi says female entertainers are constantly pitted against each other – she explains the difficulties
- Lagos State Government announces 3 months partial closure of Marine bridge
- WAEC cancels Literature-in English exams; candidates to rewrite papers March 11
- “They took away about 470 cows and cattle” killed 15 persons – Eyewitness accounts after gunmen storm Sokoto
- Speaker Gbajabiamila begs Nigerians to accept COVID-19 vaccine
- “That is the trump card that I will not reveal” – Chief of Defense Staff, General Lucky Irabor talks tough
- Repentant Boko Haram members return to the terror group after spying on security agents formation – Governor Zulum
- Nigerian soldier and his girlfriend were recently caught supplying ammunitions and military uniforms to armed bandits in Zamfara