Estimated Reading Time: 2
Endsars protesters had continued staging an all night protest late Thursday, advocating for government to disband the police Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS), when men of the Nigerian Police allegedly attacked the venue of the sit-in to cart away tents according to the protesters accounts.
There has been widespread outcry across Nigeria following reports of extra-judicial killings, armed robber and kidnapping carried out by men of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad. – The protesters carrying out an overnight sit-in outside the police headquarters and the State House of Assembly on Thursday were forcefully dispersed by police.
One of the Protesters while explaining to the Lagos State Speaker, Mudashiru Obasa explained, “They (the Police) did not engage us, they did not ask us anything, they just went took all the tents, and they went took all the tents and told us to take our cars or else it will be towed away”.
She continued, “they even came with towing vehicles, they took away the chairs and made us to sit on the floor like criminals – we are not criminals”.
End SARS protests was held in various locations across Nigeria on Thursday – from Abuja to Lagos, young people asking government to disband the unit.
The Protesters attacked thursday had been camping at the Lagos Police Headquarters and the State House of Assembly demanding that SARS be disbanded all night Wednesday and the Thursday night camp was the second day before the arrival of the Police.
Mr Debo Adebayo, a comedian popularly known as Mr Macaroni, was also at the premises of the asking that the lawmakers pass legislation that will see to the disbandment of the SARS unit in the Nigeria Police Force (NPF).
The Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) of the police force was put together to tackle robbery and crimes related to armed robbery within the country, but the unit has for quite a while been overreaching in its operations across the nation.
“Fellow Nigerians, right now we are being harassed by the Lagos State Police force, the same people who gave us their word yesterday that we are safe and we are safe to protest – we are here and our voices will be heard”, the protesters said in this video
Officials and other members of the parliament tried to persuade the angry youths to leave and return at dawn, but they held their grounds and insisted that they would not leave till the number one citizen in Lagos addresses them and assures them that they would work to ensure and end if brought to the ‘menace’ that SARS has become in the country.
kindly donate to the work we do using our interim PAYPAL https://www.paypal.me/NewsWireNGR
- Former Senate President, Bukola Saraki express concern over the silence of “leaders” over tensions in Ondo and Oyo
- Chairman of Taraba State LGA, Hon. Salihu Dovo, has been killed by his abductors
- Nigerian Police vows action against those behind the recent violence and ethnic tension Oyo state
- Attahiru M. Jega: Restructuring in Nigeria: Why? How? When?
- It makes no sense for cows to roam the streets in 2021 – Adamu Garba of twitter declares
- Buhari’s government has been very disappointing – Former INEC Chairman, Atthairu Jega fumes
- Social Media for Activism: How a Nigerian Law school Student is using Twitter to raise awareness on misogynistic laws #everydayfeminism
- Come back with laptops, Ipad, smartphones for e-learning – UNICAL to returning students
- Oyo Insecurity: Makinde, IGP to meet with Ibarapa community
- “For people stoking ethnic tension” – Olubadan calls for peace between Fulani and Yoruba residents