Estimated Reading Time: 1
The bill seeking to regulate the social media has been widely opposed at the senate public hearing on its consideration.
At the hearing which was held in Abuja on Monday, more speakers opposed the protection from internet falsehood and manipulation bill, asking the lawmakers to drop it.
And one of the speakers is Activist, Omoyele Sowore who said “Nigerian Government Is the Biggest Purveyor of False News. It is categorically false for the government to tell us that the economy is working when the economy is not working” –
Among those who threw their weight behind the proposed legislation are the Nigerian army and the Nigerian Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs.
Earlier, activists had besieged the premisses of the National Assembly much before the hearing.
- Breaking: Terrorists abduct 300 schoolgirls in Zamfara
- SSANU suspends 3 weeks strike
- Twitter announces feature that lets you charge for tweets
- Victor Ejechi: Agricultural Production and the Development of the Nigerian Economy
- Insecurity: Buhari refuses amnesty for terrorist herders
- Kagara Abductions: ‘We are left to ourselves’ Niger Governor laments lack of support from FG
- If we don’t borrow, we will be left behind as a country – Finance Minister
- Kaduna Government says MDAs will only serve individuals with the State Residents Card, NIN
- Cattle and Foodstuff dealers begin nationwide strike
- Smart Adeyemi must apologize to Ikpeazu for calling him a ‘champagne drinking Governor’ – Theodore Orji