Suspected suicide bombers have killed at least 27 people and wounded 83 in Maiduguri, capital of Borno state.
Quoting sources, Reuters said the attack happened on Tuesday.
A woman bomber reportedly blew herself up and killed 27 others at a market in Konduga, a village near Maiduguri.
Two suicide bombers were also said to have blown themselves up at the gates of an internally displaced person (IDP) camp.
Although no life was lost in the attack, many were said to have sustained injuries.
The unfortunate incident happened less than 24 hours after Abubakar Shekau, leader of the sect, released a video where he threatened to carry out attacks in the ancient city.
“You are finished! You the people of Maiduguri, we will finish you for choosing the way of the infidels, for embracing democracy,” the sect leader had said in the video.
This is the third known Boko Haram attack in the north-east on Tuesday alone.
Suspected insurgents had earlier razed Muduvu and Nyibango villages in Madagali local government area of Adamawa state.
Yusuf Muhammed, chairman of the local government council, told NAN that the villages had been deserted.
He called on the federal government to come to the rescue of the affected communities.
Boko Haram has continued to carry out attacks in the region despite military presence.
After killing some oil workers in Borno last month, Acting President Yemi Osinbajo ordered service chiefs to relocate to the hotbed of the insurgency but the order has not put the insurgents in check.
Earlier on Tuesday, Ibrahim Attahiru, theatre commander, operation Lafiya Dole, announced the establishment of a special strike force to crush insurgents.
He said the force was one of the new approaches evolved by the military to end insurgency and enhance security network in the region.