Borno State Governor, Alhaji Kashim Shettima said Tuesday that he was yet to get sufficient facts on the abduction of scores of women and children alleged to have been abducted a few days ago from parts of his state.
Newswirengr and most Nigerian dailies reported that over 60 women including children had been abducted from Kumugza village in Damboa Local Government Area of Borno State as well as some villages in Askira/Uba Local Government Area, which shares a border with Chibok.
However, in a statement issued yesterday by the governor’s media aide, Isa Gusau, the state government said: “Governor Kashim Shettima has read with serious concern, media reports about yet another abduction in part of Damboa local Government Area of Borno State.
“The governor has since directed the chairman of the affected local government area and other government officials from the affected areas to make very urgent but accurate enquiries from communities and report to him as soon as they can, even as security agencies take appropriate actions.
“While the governor views the reported abduction with all the seriousness it deserves, he is also worried that weighty developments such as information concerning the abduction of 60 persons requires careful enquiry in order to obtain information that is comprehensive and beyond any reasonable doubt.
“The governor is worried that only recently, leaders of Miyetti Allah Cattle Breaders Association were reported to have refuted media reports that some 30 fulani women were kidnapped at a community in Chibok.
“The association relied on what it called comprehensive investigation that involved making enquiries from all of its members not only in the area the kidnap was said to have taken place but also in the entire Borno State.
“The governor very much appreciates the urge of the media to inform the public about happenings not only in Borno State but everywhere in the world given the fact that the public has a right to know and they ought to be informed.