Estimated Reading Time: 1
The national leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Bola Ahmed Tinubu has asked the youth to call off the #EndSARS protests and to allow the federal government implement their demands.
In a statement released on his Twitter page on Monday, Tinubu commended the protesters for their sense of maturity, saying there is no society that can make meaningful progress without good governance.
He then warned that the organisers of the protest must be careful not lose the gains they have realised so far through lack of coordination and strategic thinking.
“It is impossible for anyone truly committed to the rule of law, democracy and good governance to be opposed to the concern and demands of the protesters. There is no way that any society can make meaningful progress without the enthronement of these values,” Tinubu said.
Tinubu further said if the protesters begin to agitate for a change of administration, the government will be forced to restore law and order and preserve constitutional rule.
For almost two weeks, Nigerian youths have been protesting against police brutality across the country.
The protests are particularly in reaction to cases of extrajudicial killing and human rights violation by the special anti-robbery squad (SARS) which has now been disbanded.
The protesters are demanding a reform of the police and prosecution of all officers involved in cases of abuse.
kindly donate to the work we do using our interim PAYPAL https://www.paypal.me/NewsWireNGR
- INTERVIEW: I am excited people looked beyond the lip gloss to enjoy my content – Enioluwa Adeoluwa, 21-year-old Nigeria’s front-line Influencer
- Nigerian tribes want Yahaya Bello to contest 2023 presidential election
- Just In: Resident doctors suspend strike
- Hoodlums disrupt PDP North-West zonal congress
- Senate President Ahmed Lawan says Nigeria can never become a failed state
- Federal Government signs new MoU with striking doctors
- Veteran Nollywood Actor, Bruno Iwuoha Dies At 68
- Just In: Terrorists kill 8 miners in Plateau
- Denied By The System: Nigerian students lose scholarships as Universities delay transcripts
- Lagos City Marathon: Kenyan Emmanuel Naibei and Ethiopian Meseret Dinke emerge champions