Estimated Reading Time: 1
Men of the Nigerian Police Force have allegedly harassed and attacked EndSARS people protesting front of the government house on Thursday night
According to eyewitness accounts from the protesters, the policemen seized the tents where the protesters have been camped since the protests began.
The streetlights in the vicinity of the protesters campsites were reportedly switched off, thereby covering the area in darkness.
The Speaker of the Lagos State House of Representatives, Mr. Mudashiru Obasa, speaking to the protesters, urged them to be peaceful and promised the house of Assembly will hold a sitting to address the reports of police brutality and abuse of power.
The protesters also allege that guns were pointed at them by men of the police force
Among the protesters on Thursday night was popular Nigerian comedian and skit maker, MC Macaroni, who spoke passionately about the plight of young citizens of Lagos state
Earlier today, NewsWireNGR reported that #EndSARS campaigners in Abuja sat on the Shehu Shagari Way, shouting ‘EndSARS,’ while paralysing vehicular traffic.
In an earlier statement, a member of the Federal House of Representatives, Akin Alabi had sought the dissolution of the special anti-robbery squad saying that “Policing in Nigeria continues to fall short of modern practices where citizens should be treated with utmost respect and decorum, therefore making it very difficult for an average citizen to truly trust that the police are their friends,”.
A recent Amnesty international report also show that young people between the ages of 17 and 30 are most at risk of arrest, torture or extortion by SARS.
They are often accused of being internet fraudsters and/or armed robbers. Young men with dreadlocks, ripped jeans, tattoos, cars or expensive gadgets are frequently targeted by SARS.
kindly donate to the work we do using our interim PAYPAL https://www.paypal.me/NewsWireNGR
- Governor Seyi Makinde deploys 200 Amotekun operatives in Ibarapa
- House of Representatives promises to pass PIB by April
- Lagos State Government restricts trucks, articulated vehicles movement to 9pm-6am daily
- Tinubu is afraid to speak on herdsmen crisis because of his presidential ambition says Afenifere Chieftain, Adebanjo
- FEC meeting: Cabinet members observe a minute silence in honour of late ministers
- COVID-19: Yabatech shuts down hostel and medical centre after college director dies
- Nigerian education sector needs an enabling environment to thrive
- MURIC: Yoruba’s must Unite to gain power in 2023
- Just In: Benue State Governor, Samuel Ortom has tested positive for COVID-19
- Kwara cancels pension to ex-governors signed by Saraki in 2011