Estimated Reading Time: 1
The Federal High Court has again reaffirmed the powers of the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC to deregister political parties.
Justice Taiwo Taiwo, of the Federal high court sitting in Abuja, stressed that INEC is empowered by the constitution to deregister parties that failed to meet provisions of Section 225(a) after Hope Democratic Party, HDP filed a suit against the electoral umpire challenging the powers of INEC to deregister it as a political party.
The party had approached the court asking for an order on INEC to relist it as a political party in Nigeria and also to declare that INEC cannot deregister it as a political party except in accordance with the law.
In his judgment, Justice Taiwo said that the Hope Democratic Party fell short of Section 225(a) and also had nothing to show to the court that the action of INEC to deregister it as a political party was unlawful.
You will recall that Justice Taiwo, had in the suit filed by the National Unity Party, one of the 74 parties deregistered by the INEC in February affirmed that the constitutional power of the electoral commission and the reasons given by the Commission for the de-registration of parties are valid and in conformity with the law, therefore, de-registration of National Unity Party as a political party in Nigeria was lawful
- Fredrick Nwabufo: The injurious lies in Buhari’s Independence Day speech
- Protesters besiege the US embassy Abuja, demands Buhari’s resignation
- “Governance is not magic” – Babatunde Fashola says Nigerians are looking for results in the wrong place
- “It makes no sense for oil to be cheaper in Nigeria than in Saudi Arabia” – Buhari
- Just In: No fewer than 20 #RevolutionNow protesters arrested in Lagos
- Cheta Nwanze: Between the bar and the bench
- Tinubu says Lagos is an example of the success story of Nigeria
- Nigeria At 60: Let the Nigerian youth keep sleeping
- Nigeria’s diversity can be built on, to become a source of strength – CDD
- Nigeria@60: Full text of President Buhari’s Independence Anniversary Speech