Springer called it “escapist entertainment,” while others saw the show as contributing to a dumbing-down decline in American social values.
“Jerry’s ability to connect with people was at the heart of his success in everything he tried whether that was politics, broadcasting or just joking with people on the street who wanted a photo or a word,” said Jene Galvin, a family spokesperson and friend of Springer’s since 1970, in a statement. “He’s irreplaceable and his loss hurts immensely, but memories of his intellect, heart and humour will live on.”
Springer died peacefully at home in suburban Chicago after a brief illness, the statement said
On his Twitter profile, Springer jokingly declared himself as “Talk show host, ringmaster of civilization’s end.” He also often had told people, tongue in cheek, that his wish for them was “may you never be on my show.”
Jerry Springer is a well-known American television host, actor, and former politician. Here are some top things to know about him:
- Early Life and Education: Jerry Springer was born on February 13, 1944, in London, England. His family moved to the United States when he was five years old, and he grew up in New York City. Springer earned a law degree from Northwestern University in 1968.
- Political Career: Springer began his political career as a campaign aide to Robert F. Kennedy during his 1968 presidential campaign. He later served as the mayor of Cincinnati, Ohio, from 1977 to 1978.
- Television Career: Springer is best known for hosting “The Jerry Springer Show,” which debuted in 1991. The show became famous for its controversial content, featuring topics such as adultery, fights, and other sensational topics.
- Acting Career: Springer has also had a successful acting career, appearing in several television shows, movies, and stage productions. He has appeared in the films “Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me” and “Ringmaster,” among others.
- Awards and Honors: Throughout his career, Springer has received several awards and honors, including seven Emmy Awards and a People’s Choice Award.
- Personal Life: Springer has been married to his wife Micki Velton since 1973, and they have one daughter together. He is also a passionate supporter of several charitable causes, including the fight against homelessness and hunger.
- Net Worth: As of 2021, Jerry Springer’s net worth is estimated to be around $60 million, largely due to his successful television career.
In summary, Jerry Springer is a well-known American television host, actor, and former politician who is famous for hosting “The Jerry Springer Show.” He has had a successful career in both politics and entertainment and has received numerous awards and honors for his work.