Estimated Reading Time: 1
Babajide Sanwo-Olu, governor of Lagos, has granted state pardon to Funke Akindele, a Nollywood actress, and Abdulrasheed Bello, her husband, who were earlier convicted for flouting the state’s COVID-19 directives.
Moyosore Onigbanjo, the state attorney-general and commissioner for justice, broke the news in a statement on Friday.
According to Onigbanjo, the governor’s action was based on recommendations of the state advisory council on prerogative of mercy, under the powers conferred on the governor by section 212 (1) & (2) of the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (FRN) as amended.
A magistrate court had in April sentenced the duo to 14-day community service each after they pleaded guilty to the charges brought against them.
NewsWireNGR had reported earlier that the celebrity couple pleaded guilty to violating a government lockdown.
They were arraigned at the Chief Magistrate Court 1 in Ogba, Lagos, on one count charge.
They were brought to court by detectives from the State Criminal Investigation Department, Yaba, led by the Deputy Commissioner of Police in charge of investigation, Yetunde Longe.
kindly donate to the work we do using our interim PAYPAL https://www.paypal.me/NewsWireNGR
- Return stolen property in 72 hours or face prosecution; Osun Governor warns looters
- South-West Governors, ministers visit Sanwo-Olu to sympathise
- Breaking: NECO suspends ongoing examination indefinitely
- Cross River Governor, Ayade orders police to carry out house-to-house search for looted properties
- Breaking: Lets us pray for Nigeria – Pope Francis begs christians
- Niger Delta militants threaten mayhem; roll out 11-point demand
- Food looted from Kaduna warehouses are poisonous; The state government warns
- Looted Palliatives: It is now clear that Buhari is not Nigeria’s problem; says Zahra Buhari-Indimi
- Citizens are targeting their perceived oppressors – Donald Duke
- Soldiers forced medical doctor to swim inside muddy water at gunpoint