Estimated Reading Time: 1
Protesters on Friday gathered at the entrance of Lagos State House of Assembly as the #EndSARS protest enters the third day in the state. Some of the protesters earlier kept vigil at the entrance of the assembly.
During the protest on Friday, the protesters insisted that the Special Anti-Robbery Squad must be “completely disbanded” during a chat with the Deputy Governor of Lagos State who addressed the agrieved protesters in Alausa.
The Deputy Governor, Obafemi Hamzat, during his address to the #EndSARS protesters said, “Police must find those spoiling their names and prosecute them. There are those of them who are harassing our youths, it must stop. The only way it will stop is for them to prosecute the bad eggs among them.
“Before you remove a fence, you must understand why the fence was put there. You must go on a tour. If there are issues, you repair it.”
The protesters, mostly young people, spent Thursday night in front of the government house in Alausa, Ikeja and refused to leave despite government officials speaking to them.
In Abuja, the protesters were attacked by Police officers shooting teargas and live ammunitions, scores of the protesters were arrested and a lot injured in the course of the attack. In Osun state, EndSARS protesters stormed the Ooni of Ife’s Palace, while in Ibadan, the protesters besieged the secretariat as well as Ekiti.
NewsWireNGR correspondent reports that “In Wuse Market, the cordoned off an entire area with Armoured Personnel Vehicles, while those at the Central Business District where shot at with teargas and live ammunitions”.
Protests have been going on for days demanding the scrapping of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad over the extortion, brutalisation and killing of Nigerians by the police unit.
NewsWireNGR will be providing updates of the protests ongoing in state capitals in Nigeria.
kindly donate to the work we do using our interim PAYPAL https://www.paypal.me/NewsWireNGR
- No one has the right to expel any Nigerian from any part of the country – Arewa group dare Ondo Governor
- Just In: “We want justice for Seriki Fulani” – Miyetti Allah calls for Sunday Igboho’s arrest
- Afenifere wants ACF to “call their criminals to order” – warn that Yoruba would not want a repeat of the incident of 1966
- Miyetti Allah Cattle breeders association say kidnapping is a National problem
- Arewa Consultative Forum wants govt to act swiftly and stop the attacks on Fulani communities in the south west
- Fredrick Nwabufo: Buhari, now is time to speak to the Fulani youths
- Abia Governor dissolves state executive council
- Ignoring Governor Ayade’s instructions, CRUTECH insists on ‘no fee, no exams’
- American Legendary Talk-Show host; Larry King has died of COVID-19
- COVID-19: Kano Governor says closing down schools will be a ‘tragedy’