Estimated Reading Time: 1
Funke Akindele Bello and her husband Abdulrasheed Bello have been sentenced to 14 days community service.
NewsWireNGR had reported earlier that the celebrity couple pleaded guilty to violating a government lockdown.
They were arraigned at the Chief Magistrate Court 1 in Ogba, Lagos, on one count charge on Monday.
They were brought to court by detectives from the State Criminal Investigation Department, Yaba, led by the Deputy Commissioner of Police in charge of investigation, Yetunde Longe.
The prosecuting team was lead by the Attorney General of Lagos State, Moyosore Onigbanjo.The magistrate found them guilty as charged and sentenced as follows: The defendants are to pay a fine of 100,000 each, sentenced to 14 days community service, three hours per day, excluding Saturday and Sunday.
Each defendant shall visit 10 important public places within Lagos State to educate the public on the consequences of non-compliance with the restriction order, and they must submit the names and phone numbers of every person who attended the party, the judge ruled.
They shall be placed on isolation by the state government to determine their COVID-19 status according to the verdict.
The brief fact of the case as contained in the charge is: “On 04/04/2020, the two accused persons held a party at their residents with over twenty persons in attendance contrary to the social distancing directives made in pursuant to Regulation 8(1)(a) and (b) & 17(1)(i) of the Lagos State Infectious Disease (Emergency Prevention) Regulations 2020 and therefore committed an offence under Section 58 of the Public Health Law Cap P16 Vol. 9, Laws of Lagos State 2015. ”
To continue telling under-reported stories, we need your support for the work we do, donate to https://paystack.com/pay/newswirengr
- House of representatives has withdrawn the water resources bill – here’s why
- Nigerian Senators reject Buhari’s nominee as PENCOM DG
- Nigeria’s 2020 budget has suffered a loss of over $14 billion – Senate President
- P&ID: UK Court orders release of $200 million deposit to Nigeria
- Nigeria@60: Federal Government declares October 1 Public holiday
- Buhari asks NASS for N147 billion refund for Ondo, four other states
- Convoy attack: Borno NASS members visit Zulum in Maiduguri
- ICPC should publish names of persons associated with missing school feeding funds – Minister
- Arewa Consultative Forum caution Vice President Yemi Osinbajo to watch his utterances
- 300 Rice Farmers in Cross River protest unpaid salaries