Estimated Reading Time: <1
Nigeria’s President, Muhammadu Buhari, on Tuesday assured the international community that the end of Boko Haram terrorists is in sight.
President Buhari made the optimistic expression in Dakar, Senegal, even as he hailed the increased cooperation between Nigeria and its neighbours in the fight against terrorism.
Addressing audience at a Panel of Heads of State at the 3rd Dakar International Forum on Peace and Security in Africa, the President also assured the international community that the security situation in Nigeria had improved significantly.
“About a month ago, I spoke with the President of Chad and I was pleased that a number of Chadians and Nigeriens that were Boko Haram members are surrendering to him en-masse. The good news I have is that the end of the raining season has come in the North eastern region of Nigeria.
“Members of the Multi-National Joint Task Force (MNJTF) are in their respective positions and at an agreed time they will move simultaneously and spontaneously for us to see the end of Boko Haram. We are now operating in the Sambisa Forest and as far as Boko Haram is concerned in the Lake Chad Basin area, I think they are done for,” the President declared.
Highlighting the gains of the cooperation among the Lake Chad Basin Commission countries comprising Chad, Niger, Cameroon, Benin Republic and Nigeria, the Nigerian leader told the gathering that Boko Haram is no longer holding any territory or Local Government Area (LGA) Nigeria.
“Those who live in the North East know that Boko Haram is no longer holding a single territory in the 774 LGAs in Nigeria. But they have a system of using IEDs and they indoctrinate mostly teenage girls and send them to soft targets to churches, mosques and market places. That too is becoming very rare.
“I think Boko Haram shot themselves in the foot when they gave their ideology a religious connotation by killing children in their schools, people in the mosque and churches and shouting Allahu Akbar.
“This is a major contradiction as no religion advocates hurting the innocent. You can’t kill people and say Allahu Akbar. You either do not know what you are saying or you don’t believe it,”’ President Buhari said.
- Laycon wins Big Brother Naija Season 5
- Convoy of Borno State Governor, Prof. Babagana Zulum, was again attacked on Sunday
- Investigation: The Ex-Boko Haram Fighters, eluding detection, start a new life in Kaduna, Kano, and Abuja
- “We are saddened by this dastardly attack” – APC Governors on Babagana Zulum’s Convoy
- Increased tariff: Lai Mohammed says the previous administration created problem in power sector
- Fact Check: A website offers freebies for people to stay home, then invades users’ privacy
- In Kaduna, govt reportedly jettisons report because Zazzau kingmakers are allegedly ‘buying votes’
- Nigeria Labour Congress Insist on strike action
- House of Representatives has waded into the crisis between FG and NLC
- “This is hardly the time to raise taxes” – Vice President Yemi Osinbajo