Estimated Reading Time: <1
The Emir of Kano, Muhammad Sanusi II, was on Monday appointed the pro-chancellor of the University of Benin, Edo State.
PREMIUM TIMES reports that Speaking at his palace on Monday, after receiving his letter of appointment from the Minister of Education, Ibrahim Shekarau, Mr. Sanusi said doing good always has its rewards.
He explained, “I’m saying this because as the governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria then, I came to the rescue of the university by spending N500 million to construct a bridge yearned for by the university for over 30 years.
“If at that time one told me I would reap the reward of that job almost immediately I would not agree, but today, in Allah’s favour, I’m being appointed the pro-chancellor of the university, something that is telling one that he should always think of being good not only to his close people but to everybody far and near.”
Mr. Sanusi cautioned governments against establishing too many universities. He said what Nigeria needs today is quality education that will herald the much needed development.
He pointed out that it was not the number of universities that determined development in a nation but the actual quality of the education in such a country; therefore, in the journey to greatness, government in Nigeria should endeavour to do all it can to ensure that Nigeria education sector received the attention that would help boost the production capacity of the nation.
Mr. Sanusi worried that a greater percentage of the university graduates today do not have the required skills to contribute or participate fully in the development of the Nigerian state.
He said something very urgently should be done to tackle the unfortunate situation.
To pitch for editorials, Opinion and Exclusive gists, send to email@example.com, we will follow up on the story……
- Police rescue kidnapped UNIJOS professor, husband
- ASUU joins NLC strike in Kaduna in solidarity
- ‘Nigeria may experience worse hike in food prices’ – Farmers Association
- Kaduna Strike: El-Rufai accuses NLC of ‘unlawful practice’
- ‘PDP Governors’ Forum meeting is a waste of time’ – APC says
- Governor Dapo Abiodun’s aide arrested in the US for alleged identity theft and unemployment scam
- Breaking: EFCC arrests the immediate past governor of Kwara State, Abdulfatah Ahmed
- Breaking: Actor, Baba Ijesha has been granted bail
- FG says it has uncovered 476 online publication sites dedicated to daily churning out of fake news to fight the government
- PDP Governors want Buhari to implement restructuring, state policing