Estimated Reading Time: <1
Seven Nigerians were Saturday morning killed during a stampede at the National Stadium, Abuja — the Federal Capital territory (FCT) venue of the ongoing recruitment test by the Nigeria Immigrations Service (NIS).
Job-seekers in their thousands thronged the stadium to write the test with only one entrance to the 60,000-capacity stadium was made available.
The stampede led to the injury of several others and they were said to have been admitted at the National Hospital in Abuja.
The recruitment exercise by the Nigerian Immigration Service took place at over 6 various centers nationwide with a massive turn out of applicants at the various stadium nationwide.
At the National Stadium, Surulere — venue of the Lagos recruitment exercise — the applicant started protesting at some point stopping the road users thereby leading to traffic logjam.
Social media was agog over the disturbing images from the mammoth crowd at the centers, an indication that the rate of unemployment in the country has become a national tragedy.
In 2011, the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) put the country’s unemployment rate at 23.9%.
- Breaking: University of Ibadan releases 2020/2021 Post-UTME results
- Nigeria Medical Association denies ties with criminal bandits of Zamfara
- Peru’s former president, Martin Vizcarra, banned from holding public office
- Was Nigeria’s finance minister ignorant? or lying? – CBN Governor Emefiele says Printing money is a cardinal job of the lenders
- Helen McCrory, star of Peaky Blinders, dies aged 52
- German govt ignores Nigeria, picks Ghana to establish West African center for global health
- Cheta Nwanze: Security, civic space and the media
- DSS claims to have uncovered plans by IPOB to Bomb banks in South-East
- ‘Bandits are threatening to marry our girls’ Parents of abducted Kaduna students cry out
- Local Government workers block convoy of Nasarawa Deputy Governor