Estimated Reading Time: <1
Seven Nigerians were Saturday morning killed during a stampede at the National Stadium, Abuja — the Federal Capital territory (FCT) venue of the ongoing recruitment test by the Nigeria Immigrations Service (NIS).
Job-seekers in their thousands thronged the stadium to write the test with only one entrance to the 60,000-capacity stadium was made available.
The stampede led to the injury of several others and they were said to have been admitted at the National Hospital in Abuja.
The recruitment exercise by the Nigerian Immigration Service took place at over 6 various centers nationwide with a massive turn out of applicants at the various stadium nationwide.
At the National Stadium, Surulere — venue of the Lagos recruitment exercise — the applicant started protesting at some point stopping the road users thereby leading to traffic logjam.
Social media was agog over the disturbing images from the mammoth crowd at the centers, an indication that the rate of unemployment in the country has become a national tragedy.
In 2011, the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) put the country’s unemployment rate at 23.9%.
- Tinubu describes Obaseki as an errant, ill disciplined governor and a dictator, who has been contemptuous of the people of Edo state
- Breaking: European Union lifts travel restrictions
- Fredrick Nwabufo: Naira Marley irritates the hypocrisy in all of us
- Buhari signs amended Companies Allied Matters bill
- Lai Mohammed says the hate speech N5 million fine is to deter those willing to destabilise Nigeria
- DG of the Progressive Governors forum says party is losing electoral value
- Just In: NUPENG orders tanker drivers to Suspend services in Lagos
- Candidate of the APC in Edo State, Ize-Iyamu says he does not want to go to Jail
- Former Nassarawa SSG cleared of all allegations of financial misappropriation
- Reps summon finance minister, predecessor over N1.7 trillion