Nigerian Newspapers: Headlines that will interest you today, October 19
Good day, good citizens of Nigeria. Here are headlines from Nigerian Newspapers that may interest you today, Wednesday, October 19, 2022.
1. INEC summons parties, police plan N13bn firearms purchase [Punch Newspaper]
The Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission, Mahmood Yakubu, has summoned a meeting with leaders of political parties over the reported clashes among their supporters in some states.
Yakubu disclosed this in Abuja on Tuesday, during the training of master trainers on election technology for the 2023 general election, as the police planned to spend N13bn on the purchase of firearms and other security hardware ahead of the polls.
The hostilities between the parties are happening barely three weeks after the campaigns officially kicked off and the political parties and their presidential candidates signed the peace accord under the auspices of the National Peace Committee.
2. Popular businessman, IVD has been arrested following the death of his wife, Bimbo [NewsWireNGR]
Popular auto dealer, Ikechukwu Ogbonna also known as, IVD, has been arrested. Ikechukwu Ogbonna’s arrest is in connection to the demise of his wife known as Bimbo Ogbonna over allegattions of domestic violence.
Family sources say, Bimbo had confronted Ikechukwu over some issues, which later degenerated into a scuffle, during which their apartment was set ablaze, burning Bimbo in the process, while Ikechukwu escaped with minor burns. Read more.
3. APC Lagos Rally: LP calls for Tinubu daughter’s arrest [NewsWireNGR]
The Labour Party (LP) has called for the immediate arrest and prosecution of the Iyaloja General of Lagos State, Folashade Tinubu-Ojo, a daughter of the 2023 presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC).
According to a statement made available to newsmen on Monday by the National Publicity Secretary of the party, Arabambi Abayomi, the Iyaloja allegedly coaxed traders who failed to attend the Women’s rally in support of her father’s presidential ambition to pay N5,000 or be shut down. Read more.
4. I personally endorsed Tinubu, not as a Christian leader — Lagos CAN Chairman [NewsWireNGR]
The Lagos Chairman of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), Bishop Stephen Adegbite, on Tuesday, clarified his endorsement of Bola Tinubu, the 2023 presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC).
Adegbite in a statement by his Special Adviser on Media and Public Relations, Very Rev. Oladapo Daramola claimed he was quoted out of context in reports quoting him to have said “God will punish us, if we don’t support Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu”. Read more.
5. Kogi assembly summons Billionaire Rabiu of BUA for acquiring 50,000-hectare land ‘without paying a kobo’ [NewsWireNGR]
Kogi House of Assembly on Monday summoned cement manufacturing firm, BUA Group, over a 50,000-hectare land it acquired 10 years ago but has yet to pay for it.
The lawmakers gave the summons at a public hearing of one of its ad-hoc committees held at a hotel in Lokoja since its complex was gutted by fire last Monday. Read more.
6. Video: Governor Nyesom Wike endorses Sanwo-Olu for second term [NewsWireNGR]
The Governor of Rivers State, Nyesom Wike, has endorsed his Lagos State counterpart, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, for second term in office.
This was disclosed by Sanwo-Olu’s Chief Press Secretary, Gboyega Akosile, in a terse statement on Tuesday.
“Breaking: Rivers State Governor Nyesom Wike endorses Lagos State Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu for second term in office. Details later,” Akosile wrote. Read more.
7. ‘Ebelebe wawu’: Man wins N38m sports bet with N800 [NewsWireNGR]
An unidentified Nigerian young man has reportedly won a sports betting worth N38 million after staking N800.
In a viral video showing the screen displaying details of the bet, people could be heard celebrating with him. Read more.
- The 10 Most Expensive Things On Earth – Imagine What Number One Cost
- Girl in viral video is my girlfriend of two years — James Brown
- High cost of prosthetics and child amputees’ strive for a normal life
- How Angwan Gwuragwu, FCT women are earning while keeping community clean
- Charles Inojie: Biography, Education, Career, Marriage, Net Worth, Achievements and Controversy
Always visit NewsWireNGR for latest naija news and updated naija breaking news.
NewsWireNGRLatest News in Nigeria
Send Us A Press Statement/News Tips on 9ja Happenings: [email protected]
Advertise With Us: [email protected]