Estimated Reading Time: 2
Terrorists have threatened to kill the remaining 17 students abducted from Greenfield University, Kaduna State – Twenty-two students and a member of staff were abducted from the school campus along the Kaduna-Abuja highway on April 20 and within a week, five of them were killed.
In an interview with the Hausa Service of Voice of America (VOA) Monday, a leader of the bandit group who identified himself as Sani Idris Jalingo, said if the Kaduna State Government or their families fail to pay a ransom of N100 million as well as provide them with 10 brand Honda motorcycles by Tuesday, the remaining students will be killed.
Jalingo said there were 17 students in his custody, including 15 females and two male students among them a grandchild of the late 18th emir of Zazzau, Shehu Idris, whom he identified as Hamza.
The bandit revealed that the families of the students have already raised and paid N55 million to them but said they had used the money in feeding the students.
He vowed that it was his final warning and should government or the students’ families fail to meet his demands, all the students will be killed.
“You are speaking with the abductors of Greenfield students. We heard the utterances of the Kaduna State Governor that he will not pay ransom to bandits to purchase additional arms.
Asked if he sees himself as a terrorist, Jalingo laughed and said: “I’m not but a food seeker.”
“If they fail to bring N100 million and 10 brand new Honda motorcycles known as Boko Haram by Tuesday, I can assure you they will use trucks to evacuate the bodies of the remaining students.”
He warned security agencies not to waste their time planting trackers on the motorcycles, saying his members do not go to cities and therefore arresting them will be difficult.
“We will not give them any money and they will not make any profit from Kaduna,” governor Nasir Ahmad El-Rufai told newsmen last month – 5 out of the abducted students have so far been killed.
Schools targeted in Nigeria are usually in remote areas where students stay in dormitories with only watchmen for security, making them easier targets.
Since December 2020, around 730 students have been abducted, disrupting the studies of more than five million children, UN agency UNICEF said.