Estimated Reading Time: 1
The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) Commission has alerted its staff in Nigeria, to the security situation across the country.
The commission said intelligence reports had warned of plans by undesirable elements to infiltrate various parts of the country, particularly State capitals, including the Federal Capital Territory Abuja, with the view to perpetrate crimes such as abductions and kidnappings for ransom, or as means of getting recruits for terrorist activities.
An ECOWAS internal memo signed by the commissioner for General Administration and Conference, Vafolay Tulay, and obtained exclusively by Leadership Newspaper, warned staffers of the commission to be extra careful as they go about their daily activities in the country.
Tulay urged them to maintain environmental awareness on their route to, and from work and watch out for anything abnormal around their surroundings and report same immediately.
“Avoid public drinking places and restaurants, especially after working hours.
“Limit your travels in-country as much as possible, whether by road or by air and keep to the main roads. Avoid using deserted/lonely routes and dark alleys.
“Avoid routes where rallies or any form of mass gatherings are taking place. Be extra careful when using a rented vehicle and van.
“Take appropriate security measures when approaching a checkpoint. Be
prepared to take anti-ambush/counter surveillance measures always; and be vigilant at places of worship, markets, motor parks, filling stations and
shopping malls,” he said.
He also urged staff to avoid circulating unverified security-related materials on social media platforms in order to raise unnecessary alarm
- PDP Governors want Buhari to implement restructuring, state policing
- BREAKING: Inflation rate declines for the first time in 20 months
- In Kaduna, Banks, Schools, Airport, Hospitals, others shut as NLC vows not to back down on Industrial action
- Breaking: Nigeria’s Vice-President, Yemi Osinbajo talks 2023 presidential race
- A UNIJOS Professor and her husband have been kidnapped in Plateau
- ‘We have started the process to impeach Senate President Ahmed Lawan’- Lawmaker
- Kaduna Strike: ‘El-Rufai never believes he is wrong but we will compel him’ – NLC
- Atiku ask Governors to embrace unity and solve Nigeria’s insecurity crisis
- ‘Military needs modern weapons and training’ – IBB says
- Hoodlums attack INEC Headquaters in Enugu