Estimated Reading Time: 2
Ekiti state Governor Kayode Fayemi has advised Nigerian youths against relocating to Canada for greener pastures.
The governor urged the youths to stay and actualise the Nigeria of their dream, adding that there is also a glass ceiling in Canada.
Fayemi said this while at the 2021 edition of The Platform, an annual conference organised by the Senior Pastor of the Covenant Christian Centre, Lagos, Poju Oyemade on Saturday.
Advising the youths not to give up on their country, Fayemi said there is a lot to hail in Nigeria, saying there is also a glass ceiling in Canada.
He said, “Don’t succumb to despondency, there is a lot to hail in this country. There is a lot to frustrate you, a lot to want to make you give up and pick that visa and go to Canada. I know it is a popular destination?—?Canada?—?but you know what? There is also a glass ceiling in Canada. When you get to the top of it, you will now discover there is a glass ceiling there. This (Nigeria) is the place where there is no glass ceiling, let us work towards making it a better place.” he said
The governor said he won’t “discourage anyone who wants to leave this country in search of greener pastures, education, health care and what have you” because he once “lived outside this country for 15 years” to study and work. The ex-senator, however, urged youths to stay in the country and organise for political control rather than agonise or resort to violence”.
He further said, “What I am saying in essence is that we have a duty of mentorship to younger people to say to them that sometimes, you don’t always get what you push for but that not necessarily mean that is the end of the road, you keep knocking on the door, banging it and inevitably, it will open. How long it will open for will depend on your capacity to organise.”
“At the risk of sounding immodest, that’s what got some of us into politics. We believe that another Nigeria is possible, a better Nigeria is possible and we should not stand by the sidelines in pushing for that Nigeria of our dreams, we are not there yet but that does not mean we will give up.” he further stated.
- Support Buhari in fight against insecurity, APC begs Nigerians
- Security operatives kill 8 gunmen in foiled attack on Imo Police Headquarters
- ‘Senator Abaribe should be in prison for failing to produce Nnamdi Kanu’ – Deputy Speaker says
- ‘Migrating persons seen in Kagarko LGA are travelling herders’ – Kaduna Government
- CBN extends deadline for dollar for naira promo
- Reuben Abati says Buhari’s ‘government will not allow transparency because it has something to hide’
- Anxiety in Abuja as security heightens over alleged Boko Haram attacks
- “We know your job is not easy, but we are proud of you” – Former Ogun Gov Daniel tells Osinbajo
- Fire guts Kairo Market in Oshodi Lagos
- Hadiza Bala Usman battles to keep her job as MD of NPA, after Buhari approved her suspension – Face-off with Amaechi