Estimated Reading Time: 1
Governor Babagana Zulum of Borno State has proceeded on a 21-day vacation, from April 29 to May 19.
The governor’s spokesperson, Isa Gusau, in a statement, said the House also approved Deputy Governor Umar Kadafur to serve as acting governor for the period.
According to the statement, Speaker of the Borno state Assembly, Abdulkarim Lawan, conveyed the approval in a letter dated April 26.
“The governor also requested that in compliance with provisions of section 190 (1) of the constitution, which made him notify the House, the Assembly should approve the Deputy Governor to serve as acting Governor throughout the 21 days, to constitutionally give him the full powers to handle Borno State’s affairs without resort to the Governor,” the statement added.
Mr Gusau said all government officials and institutions were directed to fully comply with the ‘transmission of power’.
Meanwhile last week, Jihadists from the Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) had rolled up in a dozen gun trucks at the garrison town of Dikwa late Sunday and dislodged troops of the Nigerian army after a lengthy battle.
“The terrorists in their numbers… attacked the town… just as the locals prepared to break their Ramadan fast for the day,” the military had said in a statement.
Groups like Boko Haram and the Islamic State’s West Africa Province have terrorised Nigeria’s North-east for more than a decade.
Despite repeated attacks on troops and vulnerable citizens, the government has continued to claim that the terrorists have been defeated.
- Ohanaeze Chieftain vows to ‘put an executive Zik in Aso Rock in 2023’
- Police arrests 49 Shiite protesters in Abuja
- For the second time in a week, gunmen attack police station in Akwa Ibom
- ‘El-Rufai’s comments are mischievous’ – Igbo Leaders respond
- ‘You can’t get Presidency by threats or shouting victimhood’ – El Rufai says to South-East
- ‘A military takeover is not the solution to Nigeria’s problems’ – Adams Oshiomhole
- Gunmen kill five Police Officers, two civilians in Rivers
- Wike says Nasir el-Rufai is reaping from the evil he plotted against Rivers State
- Hadiza Bala-Usman faces Probe over un-remitted N165.3bn funds
- Former Minister for Women Affairs, Aisha Alhassan dies