Estimated Reading Time: 1
About 65 communities in Niger State have reportedly negotiated a peace deal with terror group, Boko Haram who invaded their communities.
Boko Haram fighters had on Monday hoisted the Islamist group’s flag in a district in Niger State and seized the wives of fleeing residents, the state’s governor has said.
“I am confirming that we have Boko Haram elements in Niger State, around Kaure. They have taken over the territory… They have installed their flag,” said Niger State Governor Abubakar Bello, in a widely circulated video on Monday.
Bello disclosed during a visit to an Internally Displaced Persons Camp in the state capital Minna, that over 3000 persons have been ousted from their communities by Boko Haram and other criminal gangs locally known as bandits.
Reporting the situation in a report, The PUNCH reports that the villagers have reached a consensus with the terror groups and it is believed to be the best chance of survival.
The report disclosed that the communities in Gurmana, Manta, Bassa and Kukoki districts in the Shiroro area of the state negotiated with the terrorists for a peace deal after reaching an agreement to pay a certain amount of money.
The communities also purchased at least six motorcycles worth N500,000 for the terrorists.
Yusuf Sani, the co-convener of Concerned Shiroro Youth said; “This is what most of the communities are resorting to. By my records now, communities that have signed the peace deal with the terrorists are more than 40.
“While some communities have already sealed up deals for ceasefire with the terrorists and are currently reaping the benefits, others are on the verge of finalising theirs.”
Sani also said the communities had paid “not less than N20 million to sign the peace deal with the terrorists.”
- Ohanaeze Chieftain vows to ‘put an executive Zik in Aso Rock in 2023’
- Police arrests 49 Shiite protesters in Abuja
- For the second time in a week, gunmen attack police station in Akwa Ibom
- ‘El-Rufai’s comments are mischievous’ – Igbo Leaders respond
- ‘You can’t get Presidency by threats or shouting victimhood’ – El Rufai says to South-East
- ‘A military takeover is not the solution to Nigeria’s problems’ – Adams Oshiomhole
- Gunmen kill five Police Officers, two civilians in Rivers
- Wike says Nasir el-Rufai is reaping from the evil he plotted against Rivers State
- Hadiza Bala-Usman faces Probe over un-remitted N165.3bn funds
- Former Minister for Women Affairs, Aisha Alhassan dies