Estimated Reading Time: 2
Governor Samuel Ortom of Benue State has called on President Muhammadu Buhari to declare a state of emergency over Nigeria’s deteriorating security situation.
The call came after some suspected herdsmen killed at least 7 persons during an attack on an internally displaced persons (IDP) camp in Abagena community, Benue state.
The fresh attack in Benue caused the IDPs to block the Makurdi-Lafia road to protest the killings which are the latest of the incessant security incidents in various parts of the country.
Speaking through his spokesperson, Jimin Geoffrey the state governor, said in a statement on Tuesday that “many others” were injured in the incident.
“My colleagues, the governors, must rise and impress on the president to call a security summit, if possible, to declare a state of emergency on security so that all hands will be on deck to address the situation in the country.
“Seven dead bodies have so far been counted with many others injured after armed Fulani herdsmen attacked Abagena community housing Internally Displaced Persons camp in Makurdi Local Area of Benue State,” Geoffrey said quoting the governor.
He added that more than 70 people have been killed across three LGAs in the state. Thus, he asked Buhari to rise up to the security challenge.
“You have all seen what is happening within the last two weeks. We have lost over 70 people in Guma, Makurdi and Gwer West LGAs alone, in addition to what you have seen here,” he said.
“Many are in the hospital apart from the seven that were killed. But I want to say that our patience is being overstretched in spite of our preaching of rule of law and due process. You can see that the people are fed up.
“Mr President must rise up; he is the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. He has taken oath of office to secure and protect lives and property. This is not acceptable, this cannot continue. Mr President must rise up and address the nation.”
- Ogun Police say, anyone planning to attack any station in the state is on a “suicide mission”
- NDLEA busts an alleged online drug trafficking cartel that sells to Abuja residents
- Insecurity: We urge Nigerians to boycott Democracy day – Coalition of Civil society in Nigeria tackle Buhari
- UNIBEN warn admission seekers to be wary of the activities of racketeers
- Wike says “no amount of intimidation will make the state succumb to any secessionist”
- We are against payment of ransom to bandits – Arewa Consultative Forum
- INTERVIEW: Alkasim Abdulkadir provides rare insight into the battle against insurgency, nation building and why youths must chase money
- Muhyideen Kolawole: The Healthcare System in Nigeria is Collapsing
- Nasir el-rufai is “one of the real enemies” of Nigeria – Benue Governor Ortom says his Kaduna counterpart is an “ethnic champion and religious bigot”
- #EndSARS: Witness shared videos revealing Army shooting at protesters at the Lekki Toll