Estimated Reading Time: 2
Governors of the south east, under the auspices of the south east Governors Forum have held an emergency meeting to address insecurity in the region.
The governors of the South-East, on Sunday after its closed doors meeting held in Enugu and which lasted over five hours, came up with seven points resolutions as measures to fighting insecurity in the region.
The security meeting which had in attendance, the clergy, leadership of the traditional rulers, Ohanaeze Ndigbo and the South-East Joint Security Committee, was held at the Executive Council Chambers, Lion Building, Government House, Enugu.
Addressing journalists after the meeting, the Chairman of the South East governors Forum and governor of Ebonyi state, Dave Umahi who read the communique, upheld their earlier agreement on the structure and operational modalities of Ebubeagu and to set up an advisory board for the security outfit.
The South-East Governors and leaders in the meeting re-stated the adoption of a common joint outfit called Ebubeagu with her regional headquarters in Enugu.
According to them, Ebubeagu will work with the police and other security agencies in her operations to protect lives and properties in the South-East zone.
The meeting also directed the Ohaneze Ndigbo to set up two committees to work with Ebubeagu for peace keeping and protection of lives and properties in the region, which must become functional within the next 10 days from today, 25th April, 2021.
The communique in part read, “The Hon. Attorney General and Commissioners for Justice of the five South-East states have been directed to work with the Joint Security Committee to come up with the amendment of the existing state laws to reflect the new Ebubeagu outfit.
“The meeting directed Ohanaeze Ndigbo President to immediately form two Committees; a; South-East Peace and Reconciliation Committee to engage our people for the peace and security of our people and her visitors, b; Strategy and Welfare Committee to engage and protect our people, especially those who are being unfairly treated. These Committees must become functional within the next 10 days from date.
“The meeting is in support of restructuring the setting up of State police and other national issues as discussed in the last NEC meeting. A committee has been set up to work out acceptable modalities abs submit to nec in its next meeting.
“The meeting condemns the attacks on the country home of the Governor of IMO state, senator Hope Uzodinma and othe infrastructure . We symphatize with him and call on the federal govenent to fish our the perpetrators abs ensue their prosecution.
“South-East leaders restate their commitments to our state Laws banning open grazing in the south-East and urge secutity and local vigilantes to enforce the ban in all states of south East.
“South East governors agreed in the implementation of various ENDSARS Youth Empowerment programmes in the south-East states as soon as possible.”
- Just In: Army arrests 13 suspected Boko Haram terrorists in Kano
- Miyetti Allah Chairman regains freedom
- For Eid-el-Fitr, Buhari plans modest celebration within Aso Rock
- Ogun Police say, anyone planning to attack any station in the state is on a “suicide mission”
- NDLEA busts an alleged online drug trafficking cartel that sells to Abuja residents
- Insecurity: We urge Nigerians to boycott Democracy day – Coalition of Civil society in Nigeria tackle Buhari
- UNIBEN warn admission seekers to be wary of the activities of racketeers
- Wike says “no amount of intimidation will make the state succumb to any secessionist”
- We are against payment of ransom to bandits – Arewa Consultative Forum
- INTERVIEW: Alkasim Abdulkadir provides rare insight into the battle against insurgency, nation building and why youths must chase money