Estimated Reading Time: 1
Rivers State Governor, Chief Nyesom Wike, has sent his condolences to security agencies and families of the slain operatives.
Mr Wike, in a statement by his Special Assistant on Media, Kelvin Ebiri, on Sunday condemned the killings and described it as barbaric and dastardly attack.
“The Government of Rivers State is saddened by the unwarranted callous attack on security personnel. We offer our sympathies to the relatives of those who lost their lives in the attack,” the Governor said in a statement.
“We condemn this heinous act, share the grief of the security agencies and convey our sincere condolences.”
The governor, who charged the security agencies to be vigilant, affirmed that the Government and people of Rivers State stands in solidarity with security agencies at this difficult times of this unwarranted and mindless violence.
“Wike, has, therefore, demanded that the perpetrators of the attack must be fished out and brought to justice,” he added.
Some unidentified gunmen, who stormed the state, Saturday night, killed the eight victims at different security checking points in the state.
The incident is said to have happened on Saturday night between Omagwa -Isiokpo – Elele communities in Ikwerre Local Government Area of Rivers state, along the Port Harcourt – Owerri road.
The Vanguard also reports that a source, who gave his name simply as Chidadi, and privy to the development alleged that the invaders attacked four security checking points on the Owerri-Port Harcourt road.
Chidadi noted that four policemen, three Nigeria Customs operatives and two soldiers, believed to be Airforce personnel in the JTF were the victims of the attack.
The source disclosed that the killers also beheaded two of the persons killed at a Joint Task Force, JTF, a military close to the Port Harcourt International Airport, Omuagwa in Ikwerre Local Government Area of Rivers State.
- Ohanaeze Chieftain vows to ‘put an executive Zik in Aso Rock in 2023’
- Police arrests 49 Shiite protesters in Abuja
- For the second time in a week, gunmen attack police station in Akwa Ibom
- ‘El-Rufai’s comments are mischievous’ – Igbo Leaders respond
- ‘You can’t get Presidency by threats or shouting victimhood’ – El Rufai says to South-East
- ‘A military takeover is not the solution to Nigeria’s problems’ – Adams Oshiomhole
- Gunmen kill five Police Officers, two civilians in Rivers
- Wike says Nasir el-Rufai is reaping from the evil he plotted against Rivers State
- Hadiza Bala-Usman faces Probe over un-remitted N165.3bn funds
- Former Minister for Women Affairs, Aisha Alhassan dies