Estimated Reading Time: 1
Security operatives claimed to have killed an Anambra militia leader popularly known as Ikonso Commander who was the ‘mastermind’ of the Imo jailbreak and the subsequent attack on a Police Headquaters in Owerri
This is coming a few hours after the country home of Imo State governor, Hope Uzodinma, was set ablaze while two security personnel were killed.
A senior police officer at Force headquarters, Abuja, told Daily Trust that the operatives stormed the operational headquarters of the militia in Awomama Village Oru East LGA of Imo State with a view to tracking down those wreaking havocs on police officers and public institutions in the South East.
“As the security forces approached the base of the insurgents, they came under rapid fire from the group. In a bold and clinical response, the joint security forces fought back gallantly.”
“The Forces eventually neutralized the overall commander of the insurgents in the Southeast popularly known as Ikonso Commander and six other armed fighters of the insurgent group.”
“Commander Ikonso is known as the Vice President-designate as well as the coordinator of all the militia operations of the group. He was the mastermind and coordinator of the attack on the Imo Police Headquarters and several other attacks on security and military personnel and facilities,” the senior police officer said.
Three weeks ago, gunmen attacked the Owerri Correctional Prison in the Imo State capital and freed over 1500 inmates. The attackers also burned down the Imo State Police Command headquarters in Owerri and all the vehicles parked at the command headquarters in an attack that lasted from 1am till 3am
- Gunmen abduct Abia state university students
- Abuja schools shut, students sent home as threats of bandit attacks increase
- Insecurity: Nigeria’s security chiefs appear before Senate
- Terrorists attack Anambra Police Station
- Nigeria has no adequate satellites to monitor bandits – Space Agency says
- EFCC arrests alleged organ trafficker in Port Harcourt
- NECO releases 2020 SSCE results
- #EndSARS: We gave N940 million to Lagos businesses: Sanwo-Olu
- Son of the General Overseer of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, Enoch Adeboye, is dead
- 15 million naira ransom paid – one notorious terrorist released in exchange for 27 Kaduna students