Estimated Reading Time: 1
Gunmen have attacked the Owerri Correctional Prison in the Imo State capital and freed over 1500 inmates
NewWireNGR gathered on Monday that the attackers also burned down the Imo State Police Command headquarters in Owerri and all the vehicles parked at the command headquarters in an attack that lasteed from 1am till 3am on Monday.
The hoodlums further freed the suspects in almost all the cells at the State Criminal Investigation Department of the command.
Eyewitness reports say that they sang solidarity songs at the Government House Roundabout for about 30 minutes before attacking the facilities, a security source confided in our correspondent.
On breaking into the prison facility with the aid of explosives and dynamite, the attackers told the inmates, “Go home, Jesus has risen. You have no reason to be here.”
The police spokesperson in the state, Orlando Ikeokwu, confirmed the attacks He, however, assured the people of the state that the security agencies were on top of the matter.
- Rochas Okorocha says he only honoured EFCC Invitation and not arrested
- EFCC arrests Senator Rochas Okorocha
- #EndSARS: Nigerians react as Canada rejects asylum application of ex-SARS officer
- How Nigerian lawyer, Adaeze Ikpema was allegedly murdered by her husband
- Justice Aisha Bashir-Aliyu becomes Nassarawa’s first female chief Judge
- Police Inspector Fatally Injured While Repelling Multiple Kidnap Attacks in Abuja
- Insecurity: Nurses In Ogun State declare strike until ‘safety is guaranteed’
- NASS legislative aides protest unpaid salary arrears
- Nigeria – An increasing number of measles cases in Borno
- Mariam Ileyemi: Fresh wave of religious crisis shouldn’t add to Nigeria’s many problems