Estimated Reading Time: 1
Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed has disclosed that calls for the removal or resignation of the Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Isa Pantami. were not discussed at the federal executive council on Wednesday.
The FEC held its 42nd virtual meeting on Wednesday presided over by President Muhammadu Buhari at the presidential villa, Abuja.
Pantami attended the virtual council meeting, remotely from his office.
There have been overwhelming calls for the resignation or sack of the Minister over his pro-Taliban comments and other extremists preachings.
In reaction to this, the Minister renounced his radical comments, saying he now knows better but despite this, Nigerians increasingly called for his sack or resignation.
This led to a trend with the hashtag, #PantamiResignNow on Social media. The opposition party, Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) also called on the Department of State Services (DSS) to immediately invite the Minister for questioning and urged President Muhammadu Buhari to immediately sack the minister, “given the sensitivity of the issue at stake.”
When quizzed on whether the issue of Pantimi’s pro-Al-Qaeda views was brought up, Mr Mohammed said the matter did not come up for discussion.
“I’m not going to go into the issue of whether government is comfortable or not. I will answer your questioned directly. It was not discussed at the council meeting,” he said.
The minority leader of the House of Representatives, Ndudi Elumelu has joined calls for the removal or resignation of Pantami.
The lawmaker on Wednesday raised the issue as a point of order citing a breach of his privilege. He noted that the Minister occupies a very sensitive position and the comments should not be overlooked.
- Pastor Adeboye’s son to be buried on Tuesday May 11
- Abia Governor promises to rescue abducted ABSU student
- Support Buhari in fight against insecurity, APC begs Nigerians
- Security operatives kill 8 gunmen in foiled attack on Imo Police Headquarters
- ‘Senator Abaribe should be in prison for failing to produce Nnamdi Kanu’ – Deputy Speaker says
- ‘Migrating persons seen in Kagarko LGA are travelling herders’ – Kaduna Government
- CBN extends deadline for dollar for naira promo
- Reuben Abati says Buhari’s ‘government will not allow transparency because it has something to hide’
- Anxiety in Abuja as security heightens over alleged Boko Haram attacks
- “We know your job is not easy, but we are proud of you” – Former Ogun Gov Daniel tells Osinbajo