Estimated Reading Time: 1
Heavily armed bandits numbering 60 on Wednesday morning attacked military camp in Zazzaga community of Munya Local Government Area of Niger State.
No soldier was killed in this latest attack which came barely three weeks after bandits attacked a Security Joint Task Force base in Allawa and Basa in Shiroro Local Government Area of the state, killing five soldiers and a Mobile Policeman.
According to a report from The Punch, the bandits stormed the community at about 4.00am and shared themselves into three groups. While one group made their way straight to the military camp at the Junior Secondary School about 500 meters from the town where they engaged the soldiers in a gun battle, the second group laid an ambush on the major road leading to the community.
The third group were said to have made their way to the community to prevent any reinforcements from the community vigilantes and the youths.
Daily Trust also reported that a source said that after about two hours of gun exchange from 4:00am to 6:00am, the soldiers ran out of ammunition and made a retreat. After the soldiers beat a retreat, the bandits stormed the camp, set military vehicles on fire and went away with another while they also burnt the food store in the camp.
The source said; “I think the bandits might have used the Military Vehicle to evacuate the injured ones and possibly some dead ones among them because the Soldiers really fought them until they ran out of ammunition.
“The bandits came around 4:00am and since that time, we were hearing gun shots till about 6:00am.”
A soldier identified as the RSM of the camp has reportedly been declared missing; his whereabouts are still unknown as of the time of filing this report.
- Uzodimma vs Okorocha: Eastern Palm University VC sacked
- Troops have rescued 13 citizens kidnapped by terrorists in Kaduna
- PHOTOS: Funeral Service for Chimamanda Adichie’s mother; Mrs Grace Ifeoma Adichie
- Buhari’s Presidency has surrendered “our nation to terrorists” – PDP
- 27 abducted students of the college of forestry, Kaduna have been released
- Federal Government begins process to deploy 5G Technology
- Father Mbaka resurfaces, allays supporters’ fears
- Facebook upholds decision to suspend Donald Trump from platform
- ‘We will all suffer if Nigeria is not better’ – Isa Pantami
- ‘We don’t have Father Mbaka’ – DSS responds