Estimated Reading Time: 2
Mr Debo Adebayo, popularly known as Mr Macaroni has disclosed that he has filed a case against the Nigeria Police Force.
He was on Sunday narrating his ordeal when he was arrested and detained during the #OccupyLekki protest in February 13 when he made the disclosure.
Adebayo who was also very active during the #EndSARS campaign in October 2020 was arrested alongside 39 persons who were protesting against the reopening of the Lekki Toll Gate on February 13.
The protesters were eventually granted N100,000 bail each and arraigned on charges bordering on flouting the COVID-19 protocol on public gatherings and “breaking an order not to protest”.
Mr Macaroni who has remained active in his campaign against police brutality since the arrests took to his Twitter account on Sunday to condemn the police force over a viral video that showed a police officer begging for money from a Spanish biker.
Reacting, he said the police have remained a corrupt outfit since his childhood days till now.
“Since our childhood days till now, This has been the reputation of the Nigerian Police. All they care about is to collect money from you. It doesn’t matter whether you are a law abiding citizen or you are a terrorist! Just give them money!! ?????
“Everyday, there is always one Negative report or the other about the Nigerian Police. The Police have turned themselves to criminals. Robbing us, oppressing us and doing everything in their power to make life miserable for the Average Nigerian.”
Having faced backlash from some commenters, he then relayed his experience when he was arrested as the reason he holds his position.
He said the police happily took turns to beat him and one threatened he could have him killed.
“When I was at Adeniji police station, the police officers took turns to beat me up. They were even calling themselves to come and beat ‘Mr Macaroni’. They said in my life when next I hear police, I will run! One said if not that people would ask about me, he would have killed me,” Macaroni added.
“That very day, I swore never to stop using my platform to call out the evil that the Police do. If they can do that to someone people know, imagine what they do to hundreds of thousands of unknown Nigerians. We are in court though. We filed since last month. Aluta Continua.”
- PDP Governors want Buhari to implement restructuring, state policing
- BREAKING: Inflation rate declines for the first time in 20 months
- In Kaduna, Banks, Schools, Airport, Hospitals, others shut as NLC vows not to back down on Industrial action
- Breaking: Nigeria’s Vice-President, Yemi Osinbajo talks 2023 presidential race
- A UNIJOS Professor and her husband have been kidnapped in Plateau
- ‘We have started the process to impeach Senate President Ahmed Lawan’- Lawmaker
- Kaduna Strike: ‘El-Rufai never believes he is wrong but we will compel him’ – NLC
- Atiku ask Governors to embrace unity and solve Nigeria’s insecurity crisis
- ‘Military needs modern weapons and training’ – IBB says
- Hoodlums attack INEC Headquaters in Enugu