Estimated Reading Time: 1
The Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), Edo State Command has disclosed it thwarted a jailbreak attempt by some inmates at the Nigerian Correctional Service (NCoS) facility, in Ubiaja, Esan South East Local Government Area.
The jailbreak attempt was contained in a Thursday statement by the spokesperson to the comand, Richard Ogbebor.
Mr Ogbebor detailed that the attempted jailbreak incident happened from 3pm to 5 pm on Wednesday.
Mr Ogbebor explained that the corps had received a distress call on the attempted jailbreak and subsequently mobilised its personnel led by Samuel Ogbeide, an Assistant Superintendent of Corps 1, to the facility.
He said that on getting to the facility; it was discovered that the inmates had broken out from their cells and were already engaging the correctional officers in a fight.
He disclosed that in a bid to bring the development under control some of the officers sustained different degrees of injury.
He further said that, however, with assistance from the personnel from the Nigerian Army, 4th Brigade, and the Edo Command, Nigerian Police Force, the inmates were eventually overpowered and taken back to their cells.
He added that security had been fully beefed up at the correctional facility by all security agencies.
The announcement comes about two weeks after gunmen stormed a correctional facility in Owerri, Imo State, freeing over 1,800 inmates.
- Just In: Army arrests 13 suspected Boko Haram terrorists in Kano
- Miyetti Allah Chairman regains freedom
- For Eid-el-Fitr, Buhari plans modest celebration within Aso Rock
- Ogun Police say, anyone planning to attack any station in the state is on a “suicide mission”
- NDLEA busts an alleged online drug trafficking cartel that sells to Abuja residents
- Insecurity: We urge Nigerians to boycott Democracy day – Coalition of Civil society in Nigeria tackle Buhari
- UNIBEN warn admission seekers to be wary of the activities of racketeers
- Wike says “no amount of intimidation will make the state succumb to any secessionist”
- We are against payment of ransom to bandits – Arewa Consultative Forum
- INTERVIEW: Alkasim Abdulkadir provides rare insight into the battle against insurgency, nation building and why youths must chase money