Estimated Reading Time: 2
Former Imo State Governor, Rochas Okorocha has remained in detention at the office of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, 24 hours after his arrest.
Okorocha who is now the senator representing Imo West was arrested at about 4 P.M on Tuesday at his Unity House private office in Abuja, according to a report from Premium Times.
NewsWireNGR gathered that the EFCC had invited the former Governor to their Abuja office several times, and he had declined to honour the invitation.
He was being interrogated at the EFCC headquarters and it was unclear if he would be released yesterday.
New details reaching NewsWireNGR has confirmed that he has remained at the EFCC office since his arrest.
Details of the allegations have not been confirmed but PREMIUM TIMES reported that they are related to suspected monumental graft during his eight-year reign as governor.
A Tuesday statement by his spokesperson, Sam Onwuemeodo, had claimed that he only honoured an invitation by the anti-graft agency.
Onwuemeodo said his principal was not arrested contrary to the speculations making the rounds.
Stating that the EFCC facility is not “a slaughterhouse,” the statement disclosed that the agency was only investigating Okorocha’s activities as an ex-governor of Imo State following a petition written by an ex-governor of the state, Emeka Ihedioha.
The statement informed that the matter between Okorocha who now represents Imo West at the Senate was pending in court
The statement read, “We have been inundated with calls by media houses and concerned Nigerians and beyond, trying to confirm the reported invitation of Senator Rochas Okorocha by the Economic and Financial Crime Commission, EFCC, later today, being April 13, 2021.
“The truth is that Okorocha left as the governor of Imo State on May 28, 2019. And shortly after his exit as governor, Imo State Government wrote petitions upon petitions against him.
“The EFCC investigated the petitions and has been in various courts of the land with Okorocha to that effect.
“And if the EFCC has decided to invite Okorocha for clarifications on the matters already in courts, especially with a new Chairman at the helm of affairs at the Commission, there is nothing wrong with that.
- Uzodimma vs Okorocha: Eastern Palm University VC sacked
- Troops have rescued 13 citizens kidnapped by terrorists in Kaduna
- PHOTOS: Funeral Service for Chimamanda Adichie’s mother; Mrs Grace Ifeoma Adichie
- Buhari’s Presidency has surrendered “our nation to terrorists” – PDP
- 27 abducted students of the college of forestry, Kaduna have been released
- Federal Government begins process to deploy 5G Technology
- Father Mbaka resurfaces, allays supporters’ fears
- Facebook upholds decision to suspend Donald Trump from platform
- ‘We will all suffer if Nigeria is not better’ – Isa Pantami
- ‘We don’t have Father Mbaka’ – DSS responds