Estimated Reading Time: 2
An elder statesman and former Presidential Liaison Officer, Alhaji Tanko Yakasai, has described the election of President Muhammadu Buhari as the greatest mistake made by Nigerians in recent times.
Yakasai who spoke to Sunday Tribune, said he had always known Buhari lacked the capacity and the competence to deliver the goods and solve the country’s problems.
“I have never supported and will never support Buhari. I know Buhari has no competence to rule the country. I have never changed my mind about his lack of competence to lead the country,” he said.
“I didn’t support Buhari because I knew he could not solve our problems as a country. The capacity is not just there. I would join efforts to look for somebody who can solve our problems.”
Speaking further, Yakasai said the country will need to create a formidable plan to solve its numerous challenges instead of pinning hopes on people who just want power and money.
“Nobody can solve Nigeria’s problems until there is a programme for solving the problems. Many now want to become president because they want to have power and to make money.
“Such people can’t solve our problems or the problems of any country. Only people who put their minds to the problems can solve such problems. If we want to develop agriculture, we must have a programme that solves the problems in that area.
“There must be a programme to solve the problems of power, infrastructure and a programme that will create jobs for the youths. If there are programmes for the various sectors, the future of the country would change for the better.”
“But these people only want power to make money. It is not a question of South or North because both southerners and northerners have ruled the country. It is the problem of lack of programme and capacity that is troubling the country,” he said.
He, however, said his opposition to President Buhari would not translate to endorsement for those calling for the balkanization of the country, saying there would be more problems for the various component parts if they break away.
- Nigeria has no adequate satellites to monitor bandits – Space Agency says
- EFCC arrests alleged organ trafficker in Port Harcourt
- NECO releases 2020 SSCE results
- #EndSARS: We gave N940 million to Lagos businesses: Sanwo-Olu
- Son of the General Overseer of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, Enoch Adeboye, is dead
- 15 million naira ransom paid – one notorious terrorist released in exchange for 27 Kaduna students
- Enugu Catholic Diocese suspend Rev. Father Ejike Mbaka
- “The President condones these criminals” – Reactions as Buhari appeals to terrorists to release abducted Nigerians
- Just In: Terrorists have attacked and kidnapped nearly 100 people in Niger State
- Uzodimma vs Okorocha: Eastern Palm University VC sacked