Estimated Reading Time: 1
Governors of the South-East region are currently holding a meeting today in Owerri, the Imo State capital over the security issue in the region.
Navy and Air Force Commanders, the Inspector-General of Police, Ohanaeze Ndigbo and other stakeholders are reportedly expected to be present at the meeting.
The was confirmed by the Chief Press Secretary to Imo State Governor, Oguike Nwachuku.
Also, the Imo State Government confirmed the meeting via a tweet, saying “Southeast Security Summit currently ongoing at Owerri, Imo State. All 5 South-East Governors present at the meeting.”
The meeting holds days after gunmen attacked the Owerri Custodial Centre, freeing 1,884 inmates. The Imo State Police Command was also attacked by gunmen who set several vehicles abalze on the same day.
Meanwhile, Unknown gunmen have kidnapped a Catholic priest, Rev Fr Marcel Izuchukwu Onyeocha, in Imo State.
Onyeocha, is a professor of Philosophy at Imo State University, Owerri.
The globally respected academician was kidnapped on Saturday night on Okigwe-Enugu Expressway, our correspondent learnt on Sunday.
- Ohanaeze Chieftain vows to ‘put an executive Zik in Aso Rock in 2023’
- Police arrests 49 Shiite protesters in Abuja
- For the second time in a week, gunmen attack police station in Akwa Ibom
- ‘El-Rufai’s comments are mischievous’ – Igbo Leaders respond
- ‘You can’t get Presidency by threats or shouting victimhood’ – El Rufai says to South-East
- ‘A military takeover is not the solution to Nigeria’s problems’ – Adams Oshiomhole
- Gunmen kill five Police Officers, two civilians in Rivers
- Wike says Nasir el-Rufai is reaping from the evil he plotted against Rivers State
- Hadiza Bala-Usman faces Probe over un-remitted N165.3bn funds
- Former Minister for Women Affairs, Aisha Alhassan dies