Estimated Reading Time: 1
The Sultan of Sokoto, Alhaji Sa’ad Abubakar III, has directed the Muslim Ummah to look out for the crescent (moon) of Ramadan 1442AH from Monday.
Abubakar gave the directive on Sunday in a statement by Prof. Sambo Junaidu, Chairman, Advisory Committee on Religious Affairs, Sultanate Council, Sokoto.
“This is to inform the Muslim Ummah that Monday, April 12, which is equivalent to the 29th day of Sha’aban 1442AH shall be the day to look for the new moon of Ramadan 1442AH.
“Muslim are, therefore, requested to start looking for the crescent moon on Monday and report its sighting to the nearest District or Village Head for onward communication to the Sultan,’’ the statement reads.
The Sultan prayed Allah to assist Muslims in the discharge of their religious duty.
Junaidu gave telephone numbers that could be used directly to report the sighting of the new moon to the committee.
The numbers are 08037157100, 07067416900, 08066303077, 08036149757, 08035965322 and 08035945903.
Ramadan is the ninth month of the Islamic calendar observed by Muslims worldwide as a month for fasting, prayer, reflection and assisting the needy.
- Gunmen abduct Abia state university students
- Abuja schools shut, students sent home as threats of bandit attacks increase
- Insecurity: Nigeria’s security chiefs appear before Senate
- Terrorists attack Anambra Police Station
- Nigeria has no adequate satellites to monitor bandits – Space Agency says
- EFCC arrests alleged organ trafficker in Port Harcourt
- NECO releases 2020 SSCE results
- #EndSARS: We gave N940 million to Lagos businesses: Sanwo-Olu
- Son of the General Overseer of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, Enoch Adeboye, is dead
- 15 million naira ransom paid – one notorious terrorist released in exchange for 27 Kaduna students