Estimated Reading Time: 1
Nigerian Correctional Service has released photos and names of some of the inmates who escaped during the jailbreak in Imo state on Monday, April 5.
Unidentified gunmen stormed the Owerri Custodial Center in the early hours of Monday, freeing 1844 inmates. 84 of the inmates have so far returned to the custodial center.
Nigerian Correctional Center has now released photos of some of the fleeing inmates.
Meanwhile, Former Inspector-General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, blamed members of Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) and Eastern Security Network (ESN) for being behind the attacks in Imo state.
Speaking in a statement by Frank MBA, police spokesman, Adamu revealed that the attackers used sophisticated weapons such as General Purpose Machine Guns (GPMGs), Sub-Machine Guns (SMGs), AK49 rifles, Rocket Propelled Grenades (RPGs), Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs).
He said the attackers attempt to gain access to the Police armoury at the Headquarters was resisted by Police operatives on duty.
Adamu has now ordered the deployment of additional units of Police Mobile Force (PMF) and other Police Tactical Squads to Imo State to strengthen security.
He added that the police suffered no human casualty, apart from a Police Constable who sustained a minor bullet wound on his shoulder.
Adamu noted that one of the operational vehicles of the attackers has been recovered by the Police and is currently being subjected to forensic scrutiny and investigations.
Below are photos and names of some of the escaped inmates
- Ogun Police say, anyone planning to attack any station in the state is on a “suicide mission”
- NDLEA busts an alleged online drug trafficking cartel that sells to Abuja residents
- Insecurity: We urge Nigerians to boycott Democracy day – Coalition of Civil society in Nigeria tackle Buhari
- UNIBEN warn admission seekers to be wary of the activities of racketeers
- Wike says “no amount of intimidation will make the state succumb to any secessionist”
- We are against payment of ransom to bandits – Arewa Consultative Forum
- INTERVIEW: Alkasim Abdulkadir provides rare insight into the battle against insurgency, nation building and why youths must chase money
- Muhyideen Kolawole: The Healthcare System in Nigeria is Collapsing
- Nasir el-rufai is “one of the real enemies” of Nigeria – Benue Governor Ortom says his Kaduna counterpart is an “ethnic champion and religious bigot”
- #EndSARS: Witness shared videos revealing Army shooting at protesters at the Lekki Toll