Estimated Reading Time: 2
Governor Hope Uzodinma of Imo State has disclosed that some political actors in the state were behind the recent attack on police stations and the correctional centre in Owerri, Imo State.
The Governor claimed this on Wednesday when he appeared in a Channels Television’s programme, Politics Today monitored by NewsWireNGR.
Gunmen stormed the facility at around 2am on Monday morning and gained entrance into the yard by using explosives to blast the administrative block.
NewWireNGR gathered that the attackers also burned down the Imo State Police Command headquarters in Owerri and all the vehicles parked at the command headquarters in an attack that lasted from 1am till 3am on Monday.
“What happened in Imo state last Monday is unbelievable. A group of hoodlums, of course sponsored by some known politicians in Imo state, decided to destroy public infrastructure and government facilities — and attacked a correctional centre facility and also attacked a police state headquarters,” Uzodinma said.
“But what is important to take home is for Nigerians to know of the plot by a group of aggrieved politicians to destabilise the government of APC. I have done some thorough investigation and I have a credible lead as to those who are sponsoring these activities of these hoodlums.
“We are working hard to ensure that the sponsors of these dastardly act must be brought to book.”
The former Inspector General of Police, Mohammed Adamu had earlier claimed that proscribed group, Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) were responsible for the attacks but Uzodinma rejected that claim and said the gunmen who perpetrated the crime were hired outside Imo.
He said, “They(politicians) try to identify grievances of people in a particular area. They hire hoodlums from outside Imo state. They bring them in pretending to be IPOB and they commit this crime and they go away.
“It is not about IPOB. Yes, we agree, we have aggrieved IPOB members. But I can tell you, those who are doing these destructions, most of them were brought from outside Imo state.”
- ‘A missed opportunity for Nigeria’ – Nigerians reacts as Twitter announce Ghana its African Headquarters
- Breaking: Sultan confirms Ramadan begins Tuesday
- Attacks on Umuogudu Akpu-Ngbo community in Ebonyi not carried out by Herdsmen – State Gov’t
- Nigerian Govt raise alarm over planned attacks on airports across the country
- Former President Jonathan advocates for political positions to be secured through the ballot & not the court
- ‘You are our leader’ Fayose apologises to Governor Seyi Makinde
- ‘We will resume strike if our demands are not met in 4 weeks’ – Doctors warn
- Twitter sets shop in Africa, Skips Nigeria for Ghana
- Just In: Gunmen attack Ebonyi community
- Lectures against Boko Haram endangered my life – Pantami