Estimated Reading Time: 1
The federal government says it will not allow the ongoing 20th National Sports Festival to shut down as it is processing funds that will be made available to Edo, the host.
“The Ministry has since been at work to secure the financial assistance which it believes is being processed,” said the Federal Ministry of Youth and Sports Development. “The MYSD and EDSG are determined to deliver a successful National Sports Festival.”
The ministry’s Assistant Director of Press, Ramon Balogun, disclosed this in a statement on Thursday.
The assurance came after threats by the Edo government and the Local Organising Committee of the Festival to shut down the competition on Thursday if they did not get President Muhammadu Buhari’s promised financial assistance.
An emergency meeting of the festival’s LOC headed by the Edo Deputy Governor Philip Shaibu held on Wednesday.
Musa Ebomhiana, Project Manager with the Media and Communications Sub-Committee of the LOC, said the decision was necessitated by Mr Buhari’s refusal to fulfil its promise.
“You can quote me that we just finished from an emergency meeting of the LOC (Wednesday), and as I speak with you, we have decided to shut down the festival by 12 noon tomorrow (Thursday).
“The decision was arrived at because the federal government has reneged on its promise to assist the state with funds.
- ‘A missed opportunity for Nigeria’ – Nigerians reacts as Twitter announce Ghana its African Headquarters
- Breaking: Sultan confirms Ramadan begins Tuesday
- Attacks on Umuogudu Akpu-Ngbo community in Ebonyi not carried out by Herdsmen – State Gov’t
- Nigerian Govt raise alarm over planned attacks on airports across the country
- Former President Jonathan advocates for political positions to be secured through the ballot & not the court
- ‘You are our leader’ Fayose apologises to Governor Seyi Makinde
- ‘We will resume strike if our demands are not met in 4 weeks’ – Doctors warn
- Twitter sets shop in Africa, Skips Nigeria for Ghana
- Just In: Gunmen attack Ebonyi community
- Lectures against Boko Haram endangered my life – Pantami