Estimated Reading Time: 2
All Progressives Congress chieftain, Bola Tinubu, says wife of the President, Mrs. Aisha Buhari, is a voice of conscience .
He also said Mrs Buhari played an active role during the 2015 and 2019 elections and has continued to enrich the regime of the President Muhammadu Buhari with her contributions.
NewsWireNGR recalls that, Nigeria’s first lady constantly criticizes her husband’s work as president, in an interview with the BBC, even questioned whether she would vote for him if he sought re-election in 2019.
But while on a trip to Germany, President Muhammadu Buhari told reporters, “I don’t know which party my wife belongs to, but she belongs to my kitchen and my living room and the other room.”
The comment by the President sparked controversy across the world and in Nigeria but the APC National Leader, on Thursday at the public presentation of the biography of Mrs. Aisha at the Presidential Villa, Abuja, instead referred to her as a voice of conscience.
Tinubu, a former Lagos State governor, chaired the occasion on Thursday, said, “First lady has played an uplifting, unifying role both in symbol and substance. She has been a voice of conscience calling us to be of our better self for the good of the nation and for the vulnerable among us.”
He said, “Given the First Lady’s achievement, no one can reasonably question the role of a First Lady any longer. Remember that there were those who argued that the constitution does not assign any official role to the First Lady. With Mrs Dr Aisha Buhari, their concerns have been forever laid to rest.
The first lady, Aisha Buhari, had told the BBC her husband doesn’t know many of the top officials he appointed, “He is yet to tell me but I have decided as his wife, that if things continue like this up to 2019, I will not go out and campaign again and ask any woman to vote like I did before,” she told the BBC. “I will never do it again.”
Mrs Buhari in recent times also had a face-off with members of the President’s “kitchen cabinet”, including the late Chief of Staff to the President, Abba Kyari.
The book, “Aisha Buhari: Being different,” was written by the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Administration and Women Affairs, Dr Hajo Sani.
- ‘A missed opportunity for Nigeria’ – Nigerians reacts as Twitter announce Ghana its African Headquarters
- Breaking: Sultan confirms Ramadan begins Tuesday
- Attacks on Umuogudu Akpu-Ngbo community in Ebonyi not carried out by Herdsmen – State Gov’t
- Nigerian Govt raise alarm over planned attacks on airports across the country
- Former President Jonathan advocates for political positions to be secured through the ballot & not the court
- ‘You are our leader’ Fayose apologises to Governor Seyi Makinde
- ‘We will resume strike if our demands are not met in 4 weeks’ – Doctors warn
- Twitter sets shop in Africa, Skips Nigeria for Ghana
- Just In: Gunmen attack Ebonyi community
- Lectures against Boko Haram endangered my life – Pantami