Estimated Reading Time: 1
Vice President Yemi Osinbajo has revealed that President Muhammadu Buhari appointed Usman Alkali as the new acting Inspector of Police because he was the most qualified.
President Buhari through the Minister of Police Affairs, Mohammad Dingyadi, had on Tuesday appointed Baba to succeed Mohammed Adamu.
Controversy trailed the appointment of Alkali, a northerner over allegations that the Buhari-led administration skews juicy appointment to people from the northern region.
But speaking as he decorated the new IG for the role on Wednesday in Abuja, Osinbajo clarified the controversy.
“Your selection by Mr President follows a rigorous process where all eligible Deputy Inspectors-General of Police and Assistant Inspectors-General of police were considered. The president then appointed you as the most senior qualified and eligible officer,” Mr Osinbajo said.
Speaking further, the Vice President thanked the outgoing Inspector General of Police, Mohammed Adamu for his services during a turbulent time in the country.
He said, “Let me thank the outgoing Inspector General of Police. I want to thank you for your services to this nation. And for your innovative work carried on through your years as the Inspector-General of Police; thank you for your services to Nigeria. IG, you are assuming office at a very turbulent time in the life of our people. There are multiple threats to law, order and public safety.”
- USSD SAGA: Will the suffering of Nigerians ever end?
- CCT’s media officer who wrote the ‘Biafran Boys’ statement has been recalled
- New salary and welfare package for Judges in the works – Malami
- ‘Kaduna Government has no choice but to reduce the size of the public service’ – El Rufai
- DPR revokes 32 private refinery licences
- Father, son killed as bandits attack Kaduna community
- Buhari welcomes Ramadan, urges Nigerians to reject divisive voices
- ‘A missed opportunity for Nigeria’ – Nigerians reacts as Twitter announce Ghana its African Headquarters
- Breaking: Sultan confirms Ramadan begins Tuesday
- Attacks on Umuogudu Akpu-Ngbo community in Ebonyi not carried out by Herdsmen – State Gov’t