Estimated Reading Time: 1
Members of the Rivers State House of Assembly have confirmed the nomination of Justice Simeon Amadi as the new Chief Judge of the state.
They confirmed the new chief judge after Speaker of the Assembly, Ikuinyi-Owaji Ibani, read the letter of nomination addressed to the House by Governor Nyesom Wike, to the lawmakers present at Tuesday’s plenary held at the legislative chamber in Port Harcourt, the state capital.
Governor Wike’s letter was predicated on the recommendation of Justice Amadi for the position by the National Judicial Council (NJC).
Shortly after the speaker read the letter, the Majority Leader of the House, Martins Ameawhule, moved a motion for Justice Amadi to take a bow and leave, noting his service from the state Magistrate Court to the High Court of the state.
Ameawhule, who represents Obio/Akpor Constituency I, explained that his proposition was based on the correspondences he received from some of his colleagues, attesting to the eligibility of the nominee.
The motion was seconded by the lawmaker representing Akuku-Toru Constituency II, Lolo Opuene.
Announcing the confirmation, Ibani stated that all 18 members who were present at the plenary in a House of 32 members all voted in affirmation.
Justice Simeon Amadi is to take over from Justice Adama Iyayi-Lamikanra who is scheduled to bow out in May, after attaining the mandatory retirement age of 65
- #EndSARS: Nigerians react as Canada rejects asylum application of ex-SARS officer
- How Nigerian lawyer, Adaeze Ikpema was allegedly murdered by her husband
- Police Inspector Fatally Injured While Repelling Multiple Kidnap Attacks in Abuja
- Insecurity: Nurses In Ogun State declare strike until ‘safety is guaranteed’
- NASS legislative aides protest unpaid salary arrears
- Nigeria – An increasing number of measles cases in Borno
- Mariam Ileyemi: Fresh wave of religious crisis shouldn’t add to Nigeria’s many problems
- Police commend officers for rejecting N500,000 bribe
- Opinion: Yinka Odumakin, the storm is over!
- “Someone said I slept with the wife of the man who helped my career”, – Perruzi breaks silence