Estimated Reading Time: 1
An Islamic sect, Dhariqa Tijaniyya has denied reports that it appointed former Emir of Kano State, Muhammadu Sanusi as its leader in Nigeria.
The group disclosed on Monday when its Gran World Leader, Sheikh Mahi Nyass spoke with newsmen in Sokoto State.
Reports on Friday said Sanusi was appointed as the caliph of the Tijaniyya sect at its annual gathering in Sokoto on Friday.
Nyass while discrediting the report said that the appointment of the sect leader must be subjected to scrutiny from scholars in Nigeria and Senegal.
He added that Sanusi had nether indicated interest in the position nor presented himself to the authorities to put in place modalities for such employment.
“Such decisions have to be discussed at different fora, agreement must be reached before the announcement,” Nyass said.
“After nomination, a letter of credence endorsed by group of scholars, duly signed and stamped by grand world leader (Caliphatul Arrm) must be presented to the person appointed.
“Unity of followers is paramount and I enjoin adherents of the sect to dedicate themselves in true worship, foster increased brotherhood and love among them,”
Also rejecting the reports, Sheikh Ibrahim Dahiru-Bauchi, a prominent son of Sheikh Dahiru Usama-Bauchi said the reports are fake.
“The Dhariqa Tijjaniyya is base on knowledge and scholarship rooted in extant adherence to stipulated guidelines and obedience to Allah and those in charge of Dhariqa affairs.
“The junior brother of Grand Leader, Sheikh Makey Nyass was quoted out of context in the report, what he said was that Sanusi has been following the footsteps of his late grand father, Muhammadu Sanusi I.
“Nyass only tried to compare the life experiences Sanusi and that of his late grandfather after being deposed from throne,” he said.
- Former Minister for Women Affairs, Aisha Alhassan dies
- Ebonyi Government says it will offer amnesty to repentant bandits
- Reps Committee summons NNPC, others over oil mining lease revocation
- ‘Buhari needs to speak to Nigerians; we didn’t vote for Garba Shehu or Femi Adesina’ – Dino Melaye
- I will stop being a Nigerian if Tinubu becomes President – Bode George
- Breaking: FG announce high profile Nigerians and institutions as financiers of terrorism
- “Some people are mercilessly against this country,” – Disappointed Buhari says
- Supreme court declares dissolution of Oyo Local Government Councils illegal
- Pastor Adeboye’s son to be buried on Tuesday May 11
- Abia Governor promises to rescue abducted ABSU student