Chief Bode George, a former Deputy National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, has asked the Lagos State Government to publish the names of those who are managing the toll gate.
In a statement released on Friday, Mr George said it is important to prove that Seyi Tinubu, the son of All Progressives Congress Chieftain, Bola Ahmed Tinubu does not own or control the Lekki tollgate.
The statement titled “We Must Withdraw from the Brink” is off the back of allegations that Seyi, who is the owner of a billboard company, Loatsad Promomedia Limited has a stake in the Lekki toll gate.
Seyi Tinubu has been claimed to be part of the plot to attack EndSARS protesters on October 20, 2020.
Bode George also queried why the government still collect tolls and the relationship between Minister of Sports, Sunday Dare and the Lekki Concession Company.
“We are demanding that the Lagos State Government through the Freedom of Information Act publishes the names of those who are managing the Toll Gates,” he wrote.
“We do remember however that there was a buy-back several years ago returning the control and ownership of the Admiralty Tollgate to the Lagos State Government. The Lekki-Ikoyi Tollgate was built from scratch with taxpayers money.
“How then can anyone/company inexplicably make a legal claim to the Lekki toll gates? Again, what is the relationship between Seyi Tinubu and Lekki Concession Company?
“Equally, what is the relationship between Sunday Dare and the Lekki Concession Company? We all know that Sunday Dare until he became Minister last year was Bola Tinubu’s Man Friday. There are too many untidy, dirty, stinking intimations here. That’s why we demand that the details of the tollgate ownership should be presented to the public immediately.”
George added that the Lagos State should reveal how much it earns from the two tollgates and account for how it is being spent.
“In fact how much is Lagos State earning from these two tollgates per day, per month, and annually? It is alleged that an estimated N400m is collected on both tollgates everyday. If we are wrong, let them bring out their books and tell us how this humongous money is being spent.
“I have gone to this length to illustrate what could go wrong when there is a brazen interloper and a destructive tin-pot despot who has handcuffed the government of our state.”
Meanwhile, the Managing Director of Lekki Concession Company (LCC) Yomi Omomuwasan says the company does not know how much it generates from the two tollgates in Lekki, Lagos State.
Omomuwasan said this while featuring on a radio programme, ‘Hard Facts’ on Nigeria Info FM on Thursday, February 18, 2021.
When asked how much the company makes from the Lekki tollgate plazas monthly, the MD said, “We don’t have a figure to that.”
Omomuwasan also said the closure of the plazas following the alleged killing of protesting youths at the tollgate in October 2020, cost the company over N2.5 billion.