Estimated Reading Time: 1
A Northern group, the Northern Youth Leaders Forum (NYLF) has warned former President Goodluck Jonathan against contesting for the 2023 presidential elections because the north would never vote for him.
The group said this in a statement signed by the NYLF’s national chairman, Elliot Afiso following a meeting in Gombe State on Sunday.
The group also advised the ruling party, All Progressives Congress, to respect its zoning arrangement by moving the presidency to the South-West in 2023.
It vowed that it would mobilise people against the APC if the party chooses a candidate from the north.
The statement reads, “We’re informed that a gentleman agreement exists within the APC. Therefore, we advised that the party (APC), should produce its presidential flag-bearer from the Southwest.”
“We want to state clearly that the power rotation in the PDP was dead and buried in 2011 and as such, the PDP is advised to pick its presidential candidate from the north-east if at all, the party intends to make headway and bounce to power in 2023.
“On the rumoured intention and interests by the former President, Dr Goodluck Jonathan, we want to sincerely and categorically state that he should not accept any invitation to contest under any party because the north as it is now, would never vote for him no matter the indices.
“In the same vein, we want to advise our elders and elites from the north-west to shelve or discontinue any interest in the presidency or vice presidency come 2023 for the interest and unity of the northern region.
“The NYLF which has overwhelming membership and support from north-west has resolved not to support or vote for any party that presents her candidate from the north-west for the presidency or vice presidency.”
- Lagos govt says negotiations are ongoing with manufacturers to make COVID-19 vaccines available
- “Scammers bent on defrauding job seekers” -EFCC raise alert
- Just In: Nigeria orders immediate closure of enrollment activities at NIMC Headquarters
- Nigerian Military decimate Boko Haram camp in Borno
- Borno state Governor says south-easterners should negotiate for power rather than expect others to leave it for them
- Islamic State terrorists raid Nigeria’s military base in Marte, Borno
- ..had gone to the pharmacy to buy medicine …..How Gunmen abduct Imo State University lecturer
- Lagos Government releases work-from-home directive; Grade 14 & below to resume Feb 1
- Yoweri Museveni of Uganda wins 6th term re-election
- Rovers of Calabar to square up against 3SC in NNL season opening match