Estimated Reading Time: 1
The Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission, Mahmood Yakubu, has taken his oath of office for his second term.
He took the oath today, Wednesday, before President Muhammadu Buhari at the commencement of the weekly meeting of the Federal Executive Council at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.
The INEC chairman promised that conduct of elections will continue to get better under his watch.
Speaking to journalists after the ceremony, Yakubu said preparations for the 2023 general elections have started.
He said the commission would work with the National Assembly to ensure a speedy passage of the amendment to the nation’s Electoral Act in other to confront the challenges ahead.
“We have clearly demonstrated in recent elections that elections are getting better and they will continue to get better.
“The National Assembly is holding a public hearing on the amendment of the electoral legal framework. This is important and this time around, working with the National Assembly, we will ensure a speedy passage of the amendment bill and once it is assented to, it will help us enormously in confronting the challenges ahead.
“Preparations for 2023 general elections have proceeded in earnest. We need certainty and therefore the electoral legal framework is fundamental, without which we cannot formulate our regulations and guidelines.
“Without our regulations and guidelines, we cannot conclude work on the manual for the training of ad-hoc staff for the elections.
“So from here, I am going to proceed to the National Assembly, so work begins in earnest and we have already started.”
The brief ceremony was witnessed by Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo; Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Boss Mustapha; Chief of Staff to the President, Ibrahim Gambari, National Security Adviser, Major General Babagana Munguno (retd.), and some ministers
- Lagos govt says negotiations are ongoing with manufacturers to make COVID-19 vaccines available
- “Scammers bent on defrauding job seekers” -EFCC raise alert
- Just In: Nigeria orders immediate closure of enrollment activities at NIMC Headquarters
- Nigerian Military decimate Boko Haram camp in Borno
- Borno state Governor says south-easterners should negotiate for power rather than expect others to leave it for them
- Islamic State terrorists raid Nigeria’s military base in Marte, Borno
- ..had gone to the pharmacy to buy medicine …..How Gunmen abduct Imo State University lecturer
- Lagos Government releases work-from-home directive; Grade 14 & below to resume Feb 1
- Yoweri Museveni of Uganda wins 6th term re-election
- Rovers of Calabar to square up against 3SC in NNL season opening match